1911 upgrade?

Im thinking of upgrading from my rock island .45 GI and I can't decide between a Taurus 1911 or a Springfield armory m1911. Does anyone have some advice?

• BBean

10-1 Springfield. Even the Brazilian made Springfield is superior.

My vote of the two would be Springfield.

I have a rock island 1911 for each hand, both seem to be sweet shooters, wouldn't think about "upgrading," always keep my eyes open for a colt though

The Springfield is a nice .45. Ruger and Smith&Wesson make very nice consumer market .45s also.

Really nothing wrong with the RI either.

The Springfield is a more highly regarded Pistol though over the RI yes, for sure it is.

BUT for myself, pass that Colt please.

Why not get a more "loaded" Rock Island 1911s?  RIA has several models with more features than the GI.

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/

Taurus is just a lateral move at best even if it has more features.  SA, Sig Sauer, Remington are more worth looking at.

Why?  What do you expect from an upgrade to your current 1911, that it is not doing for you now?

I am a former 1911 addict.  I so love to take basic ones and turn them into match pistols..... then go find another used basic and tune it into a match gun.  It just never gets old for me.  However, these will never be conceal carry pistols - indoor/outdoor range and competition.

Generally, the more modified a 1911 is - the less reliable it is.  There are some mods that truly enhance the 1911 but do not kill reliability:

Extended slide release

Extended slide safety

Different grips and custom grip screws

Taurus and SA make lots of different 1911's from basic to expensive match pistols.  You should have mentioned the particular model you were looking at.

You should have also mentioned if this new pistol was going to be a conceal carry pistol or for indoor range shooting.  

If this new 1911 is going to be your 'training gun' - you expect to put a ton of ammo though it learning to be a better shot - then avoid the Taurus.  Taurus is a good gun, but, it uses lesser alloys and is not going to take the same abuse as a high end pistol.  Taurus makes a great concealed carry pistol for someone who already is a good shot.

SA is a good value for the money - but - IMO - not the upper nicer, more expensive ones.  You drop $1600 for Colt Trophy or $1200 for a Colt Gold Cup - they will appreciate in value over the years.  You drop the same money for a TRP Operator and you will be lucky to sell it the next day for $400 less than you paid - even new, unfired in the box.  (Which is how I got my SA pistol.  Guy paid $1200, had the receipt, fired it once - then listed it for sale at $900 and nobody bit.  I offered $800 and he jumped.  That would not happen with a Colt or Kimber)

You have allot of nice choices in great 1911's on the market these days.  Unless you expect to make this new pistol a new hobby doing mods like I love to do - be real selective.  Make sure it has the exact bells and whistles you want - especially if it is your conceal carry piece.  (My 'go to' 1911 for conceal carry is a Kimber Grand Raptor II.  I do not mess with the nicer pistols I own for concealed carry.  Never. )     

• Adam D

The Springfield is definitely an upgrade.  With Taurus, people either like them or hate them, and that seems to change every couple of years (as does the general opinion of their reliability and customer service.  If you've got the money and you're definitely looking to spend it, get the Springfield.