Whirlpool washer error code W3. What does this mean?

I have a whirlpool top loader. I was washing clothes when an error code E3 came on. I did goggle it. It said something about to much water or to many suds. Question is did my clothes washed or do I need to rewatch them ? They clothes were wet when I opened the lid and the soap dispenser was empty. 

• elhigh

Set the machine to a Rinse and Spin Only cycle.

If you used too much detergent or the wrong kind - one that has a higher sudsing tendency than the machine can easily tolerate - you can get error codes on the washer.  So run some extra water through the clothes to rinse out the extra soap, spin them down and dry as normally.

Then back off how much soap you're adding.  These High Efficiency washers are super touchy about how much sudsing they experience and frankly, the instructions on the detergent package overstates how much soap you need anyway.

The package says you need X amount of soap.  If you haven't done any testing, you don't know whether that's right or not.  Through running several loads I figured out that I can generally use 1/2 as much as the lowest recommended level and my clothes still come out perfectly clean.  Seriously: HALF as much.  Any more soap after that is just more soap.

Rinse and spin, then try using less soap.  I bet you won't be able to tell a difference...until it comes time to figure up your budget, and you realize you're not spending as much on soap!

wash them again just to be safe -- but use no detergent