Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 4 weeks ago

indicating out of roundabout on driver test?

am I suppose to indicate OUT of a roundabout when I take my drivers test in NSW? It's something that i've been taught by my instructed months ago. I've heard from friends that they didn't and it can cause a penalty but apparently some testers want you to and if you don't then you fail. It's not a

normal' thing that people do and if anything it's confusing for cars behind me as no one does it. So should I? I'm afraid to ask to instructor "would you prefer me to indicate out of roundabouts?" as if they want me to then this might make them think that I don't do it or something.

For those who don't know what indicating out is (as it's not common): for example if I were to turn right at a roundabout, I would obviously indicate 'right' but then as I exit the roundabout, I indicate left to show that I am leaving. I know it sounds stupid because it's not something people do (I never do either) but I know just for the test if I should do it.

Sorry for typos, I type too fast and hit the wrong keys by accident.

• don r
    1 week ago

You need to signal any lane change or turn.

So you want to have a license but you don't know the rules of the road? It doesn't matter what people do or don't do. When you are taking the test part of what they are testing you on is KNOWING THE RULES OF THE ROAD. Are you SUPPOSED to be indicating you are leaving? Yes. It's that simple. If the test taker doesn't take off points for NOT indicating, or worse takes off points because you DO, then that's their fault. In fact if they take off points because you DO indicate then you should be complaining to their boss as they clearly don't know how to drive properly either(you should complain if they let you go without doing it as well, but no one is going to).

• George

Tell other road users what you are intending to do. It's simple!

If you've been taught to do it by your instructor then do it. If you've forgotten what you were taught then ask for a recap.

You commence indicating as you pass the exit before the one you're going to take. Just because you don't think it's a "normal" thing to do so doesn't mean you shouldn't do it properly.

• JetDoc

You won't fail the test by doing what you have been taught to do by a professional instructor.

• Ron

Any lane  changes must be indicated

Yes, you must do that

Four simple words. "SIGNAL OUT OF ROUNDABOUT" And never feel stupid being a GOOD driver.

• pmt853

In the UK one should always indicate when leaving a roundabout, though many of us are too idle or ignorant to do so.