Do I have to be a nurse before becoming a doctor?

Hi so I'm a high school student who wants to major in radiologic technologies. When I told my Dad this he said to start taking nursing classes at my school, but I don't want to be a nurse. So I want to know if I have to get a degree in nursing or become a nurse before pursuing my degree in radiologic technologies. 

• Lisa A
    Favorite Answer

Getting a degree in radiologic technologies makes you a technician.

Getting a degree in nursing make you a nurse

Getting an MD makes you a doctor. Doctors who specialize in radiology are called radiologists. They are MDs.

All of these are separate career paths. However, if you are in hugh school or community college, you need to take advantage of every class that can help you, in order to get ahead. If nursing is offered, but premed is not, take the nursing classes, until you get to a university where you can major in premed, or biology, or something like that.

• Jason

Not at all. They are entirely different professions. 

Radiologic technology isn't nursing either. It is its own profession. It is also not a doctor. A radiologist and a radiographic technologist are VERY different. 

You seem quite confused about what the different health professions are and the process to work within them. I would suggest spending some time with a counselor at your school. At the moment, you seem like you're not on a very clear path to anything. 

.

Source(s): Respiratory therapist (B.S., RRT, RPFT) Working on my master's in nursing

You need to define exactly what your goals are here--a radiological technologist or technician is NOT a doctor either. They take the pictures. Its a CC associates or a bachelors. in a dedicated track. It has nothing to do with med school.  It also has nothing to do with nursing. A RADIOLOGIST--the doc that interprets xrays, CTs etc is a MD or a DO, and that is a bachelors + med school plus residency. It has nothing to do with nursing, or rad tech courses either. All these are completely separate entities. Determine which one you want and then follow that path.

• juliet

No. It’s a really annoying misconception  that being a nurse is a pre requisite to medicinal school. Their scopes of practice are different.

No is the short answer.

No. You don't have to be a nurse to become a doctor.

• keerok

No. Only a few doctors took up nursing first (although there are a fewer lot who took up nursing after). Medical college requires that you finish a bachelor's degree first. That could be anything but there is preference to college degrees related to biology.

To be come a specialist in radiology, you will have to graduate college (~4 years), finish med. school (~4 years), pass the medical board (1 year or so), go through the radiology residency program (~3 years), then pass the board for radiology (right after residency).

If you can't wait that long, there is a college course for medical technicians that specialize in radiology (~4 years). You will also have to pass a board exam after you graduate (~1 year). You won't be a doctor but you will have a degree in radiologic technologies.

No. Radiology is not nursing.