Can I obtain guardianship ?

I'm in the state of California,18, completely clean, I work for a well accredited university as a chef , my mother is on and off drugs, a heavy aggressive alcoholic currently unemployed , in a women's shelter , always a new fiasco or falling out. I have a baby sister who just turned 2 and I'm wondering what forms need to be completed if I were to petition for guardianship, her biological father is out of state, also in and out of work/ on off drugs, my mother is still legally married to my father who I live with , any family lawyers that can point me in the right direction?

Not sure why they would allow a teen minor to become the guardian to a child.

• Neil

The accreditation of the university has no bearing on any of this. It is wildly unlikely that you are employed as a chef at 18.

Your getting guardianship of your young sister is coming noijely to happen. But since your father is still legally married to your mother, in many jurisdictions he is legally presumed to be the father of children she bears and likely he can get custody.

The path of least resistance in this case would be to get your mom to legally give you permanent custody. As a serious alcoholic she might see the offer favorably to get out from under the responsibility of caring for a two year old. At 18, your age might prevent you getting custody otherwise. It is, however, going to be very difficult and you will have to tolerate the cost of child care while working full time.

You are going to have to show that she is unfit. Hire a lawyer.

Consult an attorney who can give you accurate advise.  Your young age may be a problem.

• Kerri

The courts would have to revoke parental right of both mom and dad before you can plead your case for custody. Take some parenting classes, kid proof your home, put on paper how you intend to provide for her should you get custody. Get referral letters from mentors/teachers/bosses stating you are dependable, capable and can financially support a child. All this before petitioning the court. If you can convince your parents to voluntarily surrender parental rights that will help a lot.

• Maxi

No one is going to give you legal advice online.......so go and seek a real lawyer and ask them your questions

You need to talk to an attorney, I think it would be difficult at your age and not living independently of your father to get custody,