Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 weeks ago

GF is freaking out about past shoplifting - should she be worried?

Hi everyone. My girlfriend stole a piece of makeup (under $20) from a store a few months back. She immediately regretted it and beats herself up over it.

It’s been 4-5 months since then, but she is worried that she will still get picked up for the shoplifting. She was not caught in the store, no one came up to her or accused her, etc.

I think technically the store could find the tape of her stealing and take it to the police, who could then ask for an arrest warrant, but I don’t know if that is very likely for such a low priced item.

What do you all think? Should she be concerned or is it likely that nothing will happen at this point? She is avoiding the store for now and has no plans to go back.

Thanks in advance.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

You're right, she has no concerns at this point.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

She has nothing to worry about but to assuage her conscience she should donate $20 to a charity.  A food kitchen would be nice.

• 2 weeks ago

Friend this is what you do you go to that store and you purchase the exact item that you stole. And you put it in the place of the item that you stole months ago. Wait till nobody is looking so that you don't get asked questions. nobody's going to issue an arrest warrant against you for $20. But if you want to do the right thing that's what you do.

• martin
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

For her own conscience, she should go to the store and buy something they really want to sell there. It will make things even for her peace of mind.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Nunya
    Lv 5
    2 weeks ago

I am pretty sure they would have caught her by now. If she is really that guilty, and still has the product, she should just throw it away.

• 2 weeks ago

It is unlikely there will be any police action after months have passed.  However, she needs to do two things:

1.  Not shoplift again.

2.  Avoid that store for at least another year.

In the event she has not used the makeup (it is unopened) she can consider taking it back to the store and paying for it.  People do that all the time, though more often at grocery stores when they overlook an item in the shopping basket.  

• 2 weeks ago

That was months ago.  Nobody is going to look at old surveillance video.

If she feels guilty about it, tell her to donate $60 to charity.  That's Treble Damages.

• 2 weeks ago

I think she is save. Be sure she never goes back to that store again.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.