Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 weeks ago

Is 5'5 and 135 overweight for a 14 year old girl?

I'm wondering because my sister is 27 and is 5'8 and only weighs 125. Am I overweight?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Please, don't focus on you weight. Weight is not the best indicator or health, fitness, intelligence, clothing size, popularity, or body composition.

One general measure of whether people are in a healthy weight range or not is call a body mass index (BMI).  It only considers height and weight.  A healthy BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9. Your BMI is 22.46.  Your sister's BMI is 19.  So, on this measure both of your are within a normal/healthy weight range.

What BMI doesn't consider is muscle mass, waist circumference, activity level, healthy issues, or fitness.  As a teenager, your goal should be to eat a healthy diet, get plenty of sleep, and get daily exercise.  Doing those thing will help your body and brain develop as well as help you maintain a good weight and body composition. What's on the scale isn't that important. 

• 4 weeks ago

Do you feel overweight? Are you happy with your body? Ask yourself these questions, because we can't tell you if you're overweight or not. It's an individual thing.

• d
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

No, it is not. The healthy weight range for your age and height is approx 110-140lb. Hope this helps.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

She is on the very low side of "healthy" for her body size.

You are on the higher end of "healthy" for your body size.

You may be a LITTLE over weight - but not enough to panic about or go on a strict diet.  Just make a couple minor changes to your diet and you will be fine.  (cut sugary drinks.  eat just a little smaller on portions - it can go a long way when  you are very close to an ideal weight for your height.)  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.