Heyy asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 8 months ago

Roommate is dirty and smells of feet all of the time, how do I approach this?

I'm 16 (still living with my mother), and I'm very close to graduating so I'll be able to go off to university soon, but I have a serious problem. My mom has generously allowed one of her friend's daughters to live with us, but she has to share my room. She's nearly 15. This wouldn't be a problem if she didn't stink and could clean up behind herself. I find myself being the "housewife" of the room--I clean up after her every move. Stinky shoes? I move them. Messy closet? I reorganize it. HER trash everywhere? I throw it away. The part where it's the worst is her smell. We have a carpet, so it always smells of stinky feet in the room. ALWAYS. Even when she's off to school or out somewhere. Kid you not, she can get right out of the shower, and her feet will smell like whatever body wash and athlete's foot, but she swears she doesn't have an infection. It's gotten to the point where MY CLOTHES are starting to smell like it, and people notice. I know it's not from me, my room has NEVER smelled like that. I've told her about it, I've told my mom about it, I've vacuumed and cleaned the carpet as well as cleaned all of the clothes and bed sheets, I've plugged in multiple air fresheners, and I still can't go in my room unless I'm sleeping with the cover over my head. I can't even stand being around her anywhere anymore. The sight of her angers me now. I'm thinking about just moving in with a college roommate prematurely because I seriously can't handle this anymore. What can I do?

Try telling her about this problem.

• Ann

Getting the stink out of shoes is easy--sprinkle some baking soda in them and let it set.  The rest of the situation is a little more complicated.  Obviously, the girl wasn't taught properly about how to take care of herself.  Talk to your mother privately about it, and when the girl isn't around, have your mother go into your room so she can smell it for herself.  Ask her to talk to the girl kindly and instruct her about how to clean up.  It sounds as if she doesn't know what to do.  If your mother doesnt want to do anything, then your idea about taking an early college roommate might be your alternative.  You shouldn't have to sleep in a stinky room.

• Shark

tell her - there's no other way

explain all of this to your mother.

It’s your upper lip that smells

Move to the couch!

Stop cleaning up after her

Talk to your mom privately that room needs an over haul.

Firstly, stop cleaning up her messes. One way or another, she needs to start cleaning up her own messes. If you keep doing it then where is her motive to clean? Regarding the main question. It could be her shoes. Sometimes they can get moldy etc and will make a whole room stink.

Tried talking to your mom about it?

I believe that is a digestive disorder.  Google stinky feet causes and go look there. Or she has worms.  Something is definitely wrong.

There's this plant called Poison ivy or this plant called Poison oak. I know a person that had an unwanted roommate and got hold of The unwanted roommates clothes and turn them inside out and rubbed them with their gloved hands into poison oak. And then made the clothes look normal again and hung them upon hangers. Of course I could not possibly recommend you do such a thing muahaha!