Why is prostitution illegal?

Update:

Why is prostitution illegal in the United States?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Because it's considered immoral.

• Athena
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Why not?

Slavery is illegal and me having you sell your body for my finical gain is the same.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It isn't. Not where I am.  If it is illegal where you are, undoubtedly the reason is religion and the urge to ban anything religious people think is immoral.

In the UK, we treat it more pragmatically.  Paying or getting paid for sex is not illegal.  Just about everything surrounding it is, though - advertising, kerb-crawling, "living off immoral earnings" (that is to say, making money from being a pimp) - and that covers young girls being exploited for sex.  It works pretty well.  If you're a prostitute working for yourself and you get clients by private recommendation only, then you're doing nothing wrong as long as you declare your income as a self-employed person and pay your tax.

I remember a case many years ago of a prostitute who had done everything right and ended up in court because she hadn't filed tax returns.  Of course the newspapers had huge fun with this.  So take no notice of anyone who says you can't tax it - yes you can, you do it just the same way as for anyone who runs their own business.

It also means that if a prostitute gets attacked by a client, she can safely call the police secure in the knowledge that she won't be arrested.

• 3 weeks ago

The only reason it's illegal is because government hasn't figured out how to tax it yet.

• Clive
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Then it's a stupid government.  Mine knows perfectly well how to tax it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Too hard to tax.

• 3 weeks ago

Because it's technically illegal and all of the 50 states to have sex outside of marriage it's permitted between consenting parties. but if you catch a law enforcement officer on a bad hair day you can still get arrested for having sex outside of marriage. There for breaking the law for money is quite illegal.

• Clive
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

The USA isn't the only country in the world, you know.

• 3 weeks ago

In most countries it isn't. Only in the USA do they try to stop something that is impossible to stop by saying it's illegal.

Look how well prohibition worked.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.