Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

How can parents have a child direct ordered to a mental hospital from their home and handcuffed by cops?

How is it possible for parents to (without evidence that there is any reason for this to occur, no argument or damage to any property) have police come take their adult child to the hospital and ordered to go to a mental hospital? Is it possible for the child to turn around and sue the parents? 

7 Answers

  • 3 weeks ago

    They generally cannot do that actually.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    There's more to this story.  In order to be involuntarily committed to a mental hospital, a judge has to sign the order after hearing testimony of two witnesses

  • 4 weeks ago

    If parents can demonstrate that a child presents a physical danger to himself or others, they can involuntarily commit that child. No, children can't sue their parents for providing them with the medical care they need.

  • Athena
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Adult child? Not unless they have protective custody. The must be more to this than you are telling us.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

    There is a statutory law in Florida it's called The Baker act other states have laws quite similar to it. It's where two adult witnesses approach the judge and say that a person is likely to damage himself or others. And should therefore be put in the care of a mental institution. And the only way that you're going to be able to sue anybody is if you are legally your own caretaker not in the custody of your parents and the mental institution says in writing that there is nothing mentally wrong with you. Then and only then can you file charges or sue for wrongful imprisonment. Until then I would cooperate with the mental institution fully. if there is nothing wrong with you you'll go free. And you can request a copy of your medical records. If you feel that you have been mentally abused and contact the child abuse hotline and start an investigation.

    Don't do it unless there really is an abuse case because it will only make it worse for yourself.

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    Anyone can sue anyone for pretty much anything.  That doesn't indicate a "win."

    The circumstances would VERY MUCH be at play.  If the adult child lives with the parents it's different from an adult child visiting and being removed.

    Consult with an attorney in YOUR State.

  • martin
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Yes, a lawsuit may be in order. Cops can't make the decision themselves on a mental hospital. There has to be a trial. A court makes that decision after expert psychiatric testimony.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.