Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 months ago

Is decorating a cake a learned skill or natural born skill?

I've been interested in cake decorating but I tried a few years back and failed miserably. My husband says it's a waste of time because I have to have a "natural talent" for it. So is there hope I can learn? Lol 

Favorite Answer

You can learn. 

It takes practice to do it well. 

You can take classes or you can learn by watching videos on line but either way it takes practice.  If you are not willing to invest the time it will take to learn how to do something well then learn enough that you can do a pretty good job on your families cakes, cookies and other items. 

With anything you do need a little skill in learning anything new. Try again, don't listen to your husband.

How can a human be born with a talent for decorating cakes? Ridiculous. Of course it's a learned skill. You need practice. A turntable and an offset spatula help. If you're good at art that helps too. There are thousands of tricks and tips in books and videos.

• Anton

Just about anyone can learn the basics of decorating a cake.  Only artists can make them perfect.

Learned ya btch.

• denise

You can learn, there will be a class out there, Google it.

Some people have a natural talent for things, but most need to be taught from scratch. Give it a go, either you catch on or you don't.