Zoe asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 3 weeks ago

does helium 4 or tritium decay fast by gamma rays?

this isnt a hw question just asking because I am confused as to if I am correct or not

5 Answers

Relevance
  • YKhan
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Only nuclear fusion or fission processes produce gamma rays.

Helium-4 is stable, it does not decay. Same with Helium-3, completely stable, non-radioactive. It's rarer than Helium-4 though, but that's only because of the stellar processes that produce each type of helium.

Tritium, aka Hydrogen-3, decays by beta decay, produces no gamma rays. Just produces an electron or positron plus a neutrino, no photons.

• skeptik
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Actually, it's not correct that gamma rays are only produced by fusion or fission.
      Gamma rays were discovered by observing the natural decay of Radium.  Long before fusion or fission were even hypothesized.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I'm not sure what you mean by "by gamma-rays".

If you mean "by being bombarded with gamma-rays"  the answer is no. No method to speed up radio-active decay has been found - except shooting neutrons into nuclei like happens in nuclear reactors and atom-bombs

• 3 weeks ago

Helium-4 does not decay.  It is stable.

Tritium decays by beta emission.

• 3 weeks ago

No.

Tritium decays into Helium-3 by beta decay, with a half life of a bit over 12 years.

Helium-4 is a stable isotope, and has no known fast decay mechanism.

• skeptik
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Correct, but the question was about He-4
      H-1 and H-2 are also stable.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Helium 4 is *stable*.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.