Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 weeks ago

Can a cropped Text message be used as evidence in a trial? Is it allowed to be used if it doesn't include the full message or time stamp?

A Friend of mine had his ex girlfriend use a piece of evidence against him which included a Cropped text message and it didn't have the full text and it didn't have his name, time stamp or anything, just a small snip-it of the text and he deleted her messages a year before she filed a charge against him. Is that legal? 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

If the judge allowed it to be entered as evidence, it is legal.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

It would be grounds for appeal if the judge ignored the rules of evidence when admitting such a thing as evidence.

• Athena
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

It can be challenged.

Does the guy have a lawyer?

• 2 weeks ago

If the person in possession of the text message can prove in court that the text message actually came from a certain person it can be admitted. But if the person that sent the text message is smart that person should reset their cell phone or whatever sent the message. And use a secure file eraser to completely zero out the entire device. Under no circumstance should they admit that it's their text message. If it goes to court you say I neither deny or admit that that is my text message. I simply demand that you supply physical proof that it is you bear the burden of proof.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Yes, very apparently it was legal.

The FACT that he deleted her messages is immaterial.  She's smarter than he is.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • martin
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

To submit evidence to a court, you have to "authenticate" the evidence sufficiently. Some self-serving testimony is good authentication, especially where the message itself doesn't have any date or other authentication.

• 2 weeks ago

If he'd had a good lawyer, the lawyer could have tried to have the evidence excluded. That's what lawyers are for. 

• 2 weeks ago

i would ask a lawyer about it

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

They can subpoena the phone records and see who sent it and the whole message

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.