Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

Whats a way to respond or not respond to a parent who constantly puts you down passive aggressively and elevates themself?

self righteously for any small reason they can think of. Theyre just better than you and you have to be told how to eat, what to eat, how to do everything. 

I'm seriously getting annoyed having to hear this condescension and having to be nice like i didnt hear it.

• Jerry

My own dear Papa is a fuss budget to end all fuss budgets. We usually respond mildly with "I don't know how you put up with me" when he goes into fault finding mode. We just let him fuss all he wants and don't pay him a lot of mind other than those "That's right Papa, I DO use my fork wrong; you certainly have to put up with a lot from me" comments. 

You might have to PRETEND that you're taking him seriously. But you don't have to REALLY take him seriously. Don't let his fussing and needling bother you so much. He fusses because he likes to fuss. It doesn't say anything about YOU." 

If you're an adult you tell this parent that their constant harping is the reason you'll be limiting your contact with them. If you're a minor child still living in the home you do what they ask of you as that's the price of getting to live rent free while someone else pays your bills.

Ask them why they are so afraid of you they need to resort to insults to "keep you in your place".

i probably wouldnt bother responding, if they know it bothers you they might do it even more

• g

You dont have to sit there and listen to it. Change the subject, and the conversation, leave if you have to.

maybe you should just talk to them about it and tell them how it feels when they do that