Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 3 weeks ago

What is the statute of limitations on a mortgage in ohio?

In 2008, my bank sold the mortgage, then that bank sold it, then that bank sold it. Eventually, I could find no bank that claims to hold the mortgage. I haven't made a single payment since 2008, I have just been paying the taxes. Still no one has asked for payment or tried to foreclose. 11 years later, is it fairly safe to assume I just got a free house?

No, it is not free to "assume" anything. Failure to pay the last company that bought the debt - at any time, they will foreclose. Some companies get right on it. Others (few but it happens) wait years.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

No.  The statue of limitations on a mortgage in Ohio is 21 years.

• oklatom

No, if you have NOT paid in 21 years and they have done nothing to collect, that is the end of it.

The statute of limitations is not the issue. You need to talk to a real estate attorney. What you are dealing with is a "phantom mortgage". You will have a problem trying to sell the property because you have a broken chain of title.

Sometime down the road a lender could come back into the picture and foreclose to the conclusion of the process.

• Judy

No, don't assume that. The mortgage holder has a lien on the house.

You may be able to live it in forever but you won't be able to sell it.  My house is paid for and I have the deed. I can sell it. You cannot.

• Greg

Why didn't you check with the county to get the title. If you do not have a clear title, you cannot sell it.

• BBG

There is no such document as a title to a home (unlike cars and boats).   Title is a legal concept.   But yes, the county will have all recorded liens and deeds including reconveyances or lack thereof. 

If you were trying to find out which lender you owe the money to, you would take a trip to your county recorder's office.  They will have records of all mortgage liens and reconveyances recorded.

If there is still a lien on the house, what is your exit strategy if you want to sell?

Statute of limitations on mortgage foreclosure in Ohio is 21 years.

• Rick

that sounds like a lawyer question ..............................