Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 9 months ago

Women's Health Nursing Experience ?

Hello! I just became an RN this past summer and have started working at a nursing home/rehabilitation center this past August.  I'm currently taking online classes to receive my BSN, which will hopefully be May 2020.  I would say the rehab unit I work on is similar to a med/surg setting; we work with IVs and PICC lines (though we do not insert them at our facility), PEG tubes, Foleys, etc.

I've only been there for 3 months, but I'm getting burnt out.  My shift is 8.5 hours, but I never have time to take a lunch (though they still deduct it from pay), and I'm usually there for closer to 9.5 or 10 hours most times.  I'm on my feet constantly and I barely drink water because we are not allowed to have personal drinks/food at the nurse's station or on the medication carts.  I know this is a reality for most bedside nurses.  Bedside is really not my thing.  

My goal is to become a Women's Health Nurse Practitioner one day.  I guess I'm just wondering what kind of experience is usually needed for that role.  I know I've only done bedside for 3 months, but I would love to work in a doctor's office instead, for example an OB/GYN office.  What are your experiences as a registered nurse in an OB/GYN office, a postpartum unit, or labor and delivery unit?  Like I said, my goal is to become a Women's Health NP, so I really would like experience in women's health.  Is it too soon to leave bedside, or should I stick it out longer for more experience?

Thank you for any help!!

Three months is nothing. That's practically orientation ...and rehab is not anything like acute care. I would avoid an office job for now and try for anything in acute care. Women's services would be ideal, but med/surg would also be an excellent foundation depending on the population served.

• :)

I’m a senior in a BSN program. A few of my classmates who are going to be December graduates (I’m going to be a May graduate) already have jobs lined up in labor and delivery/postpartum. I know one girl that graduated last May and is in a NICU. I did a summer internship in labor and delivery this summer, and I plan to either return back to thst hospital on THAT unit(the unit hires new grads) or apply to L&D/post partum jobs elsewhere. I also want to be a women’s health or maybe even family health nurse practioner. It’s been my dream to work with women across the lifespan since I was a kid. I’m not going to waste my time on a cardiac floor if I don’t need to. It’s outdated thinking that you have to suffer in med surg for x amount of years/months before you can go to the unit of your choice.

Both of my aunts were career RNs at a county public health clinic and they spent all day every day up to their elbows in STDs, goobery babies and vaccinating screaming toddlers.    Good money, good government bennies and Mon-Fri 9-5.   But you are seeing lots of disadvantaged people with real problems that you only get to patch up and send back out the door.   I think they both really enjoyed that their patients came from all walks of life including many immigrants.   

Sure you can go for a cushy job in a private practice serving middle-class soccer moms with good insurance.  Nothing wrong with that, but those patients have their share of problems too... substance abuse, domestic violence, infidelity/STDs, etc.

Post-partum unit or labor/delivery unit is going to have the crazy hours you are trying to avoid.

Nursing isn't an easy job no matter how you stack it.  

ETA:  I do know a couple women's health nurses who do other things.   One is a lactation specialist who works in a post-partum unit.   I think her hours are pretty regular.   The other works for the boob bus (a mobile mammogram unit).   She doesn't work crazy hours, but she does work a lot of Saturdays.