t asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 3 weeks ago

Why is saying straight white males have no privilege in today’s society an “antisocial attitude”?

I’ve posted in this section and the gender section debating it and I’ve got many angry answers as if I’m some extremist 

As I 21 year old straight white male, I’ve had no privilege at the extent of my sociodemographic. No one is privileged apart from the rich. I’ve had to work for everything I have however bad things that have happened would not have happened if I was born female or gay

There’s no hate crime laws protecting us nor are we advantaged/protected by any systems like all gays, minorities and women, we are the victims of unfair prejudism by many people (no I’m not talking about SJWs), we are actively blamed by a many people for things people of our sociodemographic did before we were born. 

10 points prove it

1) White people are too subject to casual racism (I grew up in a multicultural part of London)

2) We can’t be victims of racial hate crimes 

3) Men aren’t allowed to be full time fathers to our own children unless the mother says so 

4) Sexual harassment against straight and gay men is considered a joke

5) can’t to defend ourselves against violent women without being labelled as “abusers” and “cowards”

6) Men 61% of homeless people but there’s way more shelters for women/children 

7) Men are 75% of suicides but society offers more empathy to women’s mental wellbeing 

8) Justice system has higher sentences for violence against LGBT people then the rest of us 

9) men get more prison time for the same crimes

10) And WAY more violence is committed against men

• Mike L

To an extent I agree, but to think that whites are subject to 'casual' racism as much as people of color is pretty off. Quite a few people would think nothing of five white guys in a group walking around the mall, but would turn their heads seeing five blacks walking around. I've witnessed this. I also don't recall many unarmed white kids being shot by the police. I, too, am a straight white male who has been lucky to have two parents all my life who were able to attend my sports games, help me through college, provide home cooked meals, etc.

Who cares it's true.

The term White Privilege is still used by racists who are just mad that white people still have some relevance in the country. They wish white people should disappear even faster. 

Nobody complains about jewish privilege in Israel over Arab citizens, Latino privilege in Dominic republic or Black privilege in Haiti or Chinese privilege in China.

This white privilege narrative is gaining traction in Europe as well. That is whites get for being generous in immigration and allowing other races to settle in their countries. 

Also, there is no single definition of white privilege. 

If you point out that asians earn more, then they will say wealth is not privilege. But not having to face racism is. But again that argument fails as well. They say cops do not stop you, clerks do not follow you in the stores etc etc. But why are these same problems NOT experienced by Asians ? If the system is set up in such a way that only whites can succeed and live a comfortable life in the country, why are other races not facing those problems ? 

This country is not just black and white anymore as it used to be. At least 25 percent of the country is Asian and Hispanic and they do not complain and whine about white privilege like blacks do. It almost looks like asians and Hispanics have that privilege too 

That means the term “WHITE privilege" is a misnomer in 2019. 

The marxist left needs some ways to keep blaming white people. The liberal academia infiltrated by people like Tim Wise hates white people. That is where all this garbage comes from.

• Sally

Laws that are passed to protect minority groups are passed BECAUSE white males have always had all the privilege and power.

Many whites in America have a very misguided notion of what White Privilege actually is. As soon as you bring up the topic they point to their own hardships or the hardships of other whites, such as poverty. They fail to understand that white privilege isn’t the same for every white person. Privilege gives more whites a statistical advantage in many areas over other cultures, especially blacks, but it isn’t a magic wand that makes white people’s lives better.

White privilege is a side effect of centuries of systematic racism and white cultural favoritism. A friend of mine called white privilege “white comparative advantage.” The odds for success are statistically slanted in favor of whites but do not absolutely guarantee success.

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2017/03/17/5-truths-abou...

• .3 weeks agoReport

have a glance at the link she provided. It is a total mess. 

Maybe you are too young because I have plenty of privilege.

• Stan

As a 21 year old straight white male you are hardly in a position to be objective about your status in society.

Also, I might point out that the adult brain isnt fully formed until about 25 to 28 years of age.

Having an open mind means being open to what others have to offer. It means being able to understand and absorb new ideas and new pathways. It means a greater capacity to learn and aquire knowledge.

You need to listen to what people are trying to tell you.

• Stan

Is that how you interpret my answer? Fascinating.

• Mandy

I don’t know that it is anti-social.  It is a definite lie, however.

• t3 weeks agoReport

Female privilege exists 

White privilege is just having a father.

People who are born with privileges often don't even realize they have them, because they've had them all their lives.  GW Bush was never able to admit, even to himself, that he got job after job because of who his dad was, that he got into the Texas Air National Guard in front of a long waiting list because of who his dad was.

Success takes both hard work and LUCK.  People will say 'I worked hard for everything I got', and yeah, they probably did.  But they went to great schools (usually expensive private schools) and then got into  Harvard because their dad was an alum.

White male privilege exists whether you cop to it or not.  If you really gave it a thought you could see how it's changed the path of your life.

• How is any of this specific to whites? Remember that college admission scandal, where politicians were charged with fraud? First name on the list is Gamal Aziz, an Egyptian, and most of the others are Jewish.

Whites are not allowed to speak about race.

When anyone else speaks about race whites are supposed to drop what they are doing and listen