Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

Why is child marriage in america legal?

Its legal in most states for an adult to marry a child with parent's permission; in some states there's no minimum age, and after they're married they can legally have a sexual relationship. Why do you think this has not been made illegal?

Favorite Answer

okay. this is going to get political. i will try my best to use neutral language. please know i am a simmering cauldron of rage underneath.

many politicians who do not want the opportunities for child marriage abolished are those against abortion. is a child is raped and becomes pregnant as a result, they do not want them to get an abortion. in their view, the most moral way forward is for the pregnant child to marry the person that raped them, as they view marriage as the only sexually moral option.

there is so much more to say, but it would be pretty heavily censored.

• Athena

No it is not.

You know this as you have posted this five times not he last three days.

• Clive

Obviously legislators haven't got round to making the law sensible.

• Brian

Which states would those be again? Even Alabama is 16 these days (or maybe it's 14, I don't really track it).

• klypos

Somebody pointed out that Jerry Lee Lewis didn't ever go to the UK after the local press realized that his wife/cousin was only 14 during his first visit.

So I would say a lack of public and press concern is why this has not been made illegal.

There are very few countries where one can't get married as a minor with parental consent. Even within the Americas only Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama and Trinidad and Tobago set the mark at 18 with no deviation.

You are lying.

I know of no state where marriage is legal below age 14, even with parents' permission.

This is not illegal because monogamy is very important to western civilization. Marriage is a GOOD thing. I'll bet you would have no issue with that same 14 year old female having sex with twenty different classmates.