Programming Job Question?

Whenever you apply for a job, I notice many require experience. For example, 5 years experience with Java etc 

Now, do they mean 5 years of career experience? Or just 5 years of experience using Java!? 

I technically have many years using multiple languages but since I’m still in college I don’t have actual working / job experience

Can I still say I have years of experience?

• Judy

You can apply, with an accurate description of what your "experience" consists of, but they are almost surely looking for work experience.

• Alex

I have a couple of comments: 

First of all, if you have 5 years of programming experience, some of which is java, then your obstacle is to convince them that you're able to do the job and then be able to deliver.  So ask yourself how good you really are and if you'll be able to get yourself up to speed.  If you are confident in yourself, then you may find a hiring manager willing to give you a chance.  My company hires developers all the time who have experience in languages other than the ones we use.  So companies really do this.

Second, make sure you are applying through staffing agencies.  Many companies only fill their entry level positions through agencies, so those are great places to start.  Just stay away from the ones who expect you to pay a fee.

Third, start looking at professional networking groups in your area (many of them are on Meetup).  See if there are groups for developers.  If so, start going to the meetings, and get to know people in your field.  You don't have to go be all buddy buddy with them.  But if you start being around them once or twice a month, you'll start making good contacts.

• Chunky4 weeks agoReport

Wow thank you very much!! This was extremely helpful

They mean 5 years of experience on the job writing Java code.  You tell them otherwise, they only have to look @ your resume to see you don't have this.  Employers don't like people that lie about their jobs and/or experience.    

You start out, like we all did, with an entry level job - help desk, computer operator, jr programmer, etc.  I have a comp sci degree, and my 1st job was as a computer operator.  I'm a mainframe pgmr/analyst now.   

• Chunky4 weeks agoReport

Thank you very much (: I appreciate this response!! 

• Scott

" 5 years experience with Java". That's pretty specific. Do you not understand the english language?

• Chunky4 weeks agoReport

Ew you’re a totally gross human being to answer like that 

I know what you mean. It's stupid and makes it more difficult for graduates to find jobs. There are far to many openings for programming jobs for employers to be that picky. There just aren't enough programmers or people studying IT for them to expect to get somebody with multiple years, let alone 5 + years experience in the field. Employers like that are just unwilling to put the effort into training people up to work particularly for their company. If they themselves expect 5 years experience, where do they think they're going to get their programmers from if graduates never even get the chance to prove themselves? It does lead many a graduate to have to chance lie about their past work experience. These companies only ask for it though. Just use that as your argument. If they bring it up how you apparently don't have as much work experience as you've said, just make out like it was an honest mistake. You have leverage in the fact that you do outside of work have many years experience with multiple languages.

• Scott

Maybe don't apply to jobs you aren't qualified for? If an employer is asking for 5 years of Java programming experience and you are fresh out of college - you probably are looking at the wrong job. You don't start at the top, you have to work your way up.