Hamza asked in PetsDogs · 2 weeks ago

What’s the difference between a choke collar and a simple chain collar and how can I tell?

I need to get my little GSD pup a collar. But he’s a long coat GSD and we do live in a rather warm climate so I thought a flat nylon/fabric collar would ruin his coat as well as make him feel hot. I’m so so so very much against all these collars that hurt dogs. It’s just inhumane. But everywhere I look for a chain collar for my dog everyone keeps showing me choke collars. What’s the difference (if any) between regular chain collars and choke collars and how exactly can I tell? Here’s a picture of my doggie. He’s 6 months old. His name is Enzo. 

This is Diesel. After replacing his nylon collar at least 6 times because our pitbull would chew through them I put a choke collar on him. My reasoning had nothing to do with being able to control him. It was to keep his ID tags on him. I figured the pit bull wouldn't be getting a chain collar off of him. He has been wearing it for over a year now and actually gets a little upset whenever I remove it for his grooming sessions (almost every day). He wants it put back on. I think it would be fine to use one on your dog. Just make sure it isn't so loose that if he backs away from you while on the leash it doesn't slip over his head.

• Verulam

NEVER leave a chain choke-type collar on a dog 24/7.   This is asking for trouble as it's all too easy for the dog to get caught up on something and hang.

You should never leave any collar on a dog all the time anyway and should be used for walking only.  Therefore it isn't as likely to ruin his fur.  Many accidents and even deaths are caused from a dog getting its collar caught on something and twisted itself through panic.   Seen someone post today but luckily it was a nylon collar and the owner got it cut off but not before the dogs tongue had gone blue and she passed out. 

A choke collar slips along itself and a straight chain collar doesn't. 

Choke collars have been proven by various trainers to hurt dogs internally over time they cause nerve damage to the neck and will have a damaged trachea by the time they’re older over years of use don’t use this train him or her the right way how would you like to have a choke collar on ? Why don’t people train they’re babies with choke collars ? It’s because it’s not humane your no better than a dog .

There is no difference.    The misnamed 'choke' chain is in fact a 'simple' chain collar or slip collar.   And used correctly it should never choke to the point of causing collapse.  A collar like this should NEVER be left on 24/7 as it's all too easy for the dog to be caught up on something and indeed choke to death.

You may find it better for your youngster (gorgeous by the way) to have him on a normal collar and use a head-collar which would give you control over his head rather than involving his neck at all.   This really only for training purposes.

I had my Whippet who was inclined to be spooked, on a Canny Collar for some months until she calmed down, and she, and my other hound, are both on martingale collars, my Whippets being wide like any other Whippet collar.

• Jojo

100% agree with Verulams comment. Dogs have died from being caught up by a CCollar as it twists as they struggle and strangles them. Also its almost impossible for a dog to back out of a Choke collar, even a loose fitted one. Loose CC`s are doubly dangerous when left on dog.

There is NO difference between choke collars & chain collars unless you are referring to the Prong training collar.  (It looks AWFUL) so I am SURE... you (the collar EXPERT) will not use it, despite it NEVER choking any dog (to death) or doing the trachea damage to the throat that the choke (aka obedience training collar) can do, under certain circumstances.  

Unlike the choke collar, the prong closes ALL the way around at once - but ONLY up to a point (a non-choking point).  The prong is to be SIZED to the circumference at the TOP of the dog's neck - *right behind the ears* & all extra links get removed or popped out (by you) very easily.  It snaps ONTO the dog's neck, rather than slipping over the head. (Unlike the choke; dogs cannot pull backwards out out of it) and it will NOT ride down near the bottom of the neck, if *sized* right - which AUTOMATICALLY gives you MUCH more control (like POWER STEERING) with far less YANKING or snapping corrections on the collar; & your hands won't be tuning pink or your arm being pulled out of the socket - if you are being dragged.  DESPITE its LOOKS the prongs swirl shut and DO NOT go into the skin.  (You can ask to try one on YOUR OWN ARM or leg - in any store that sells one, so you can better understand it & decide if you'd like to try one.)

For identification & rabies tags and therefore, daily wear you need a FLAT buckle collar.  I suggest the Dur-a-lon or the Dura-Flex collars (which are both wipeable & water proof - if you dog likes to swim) found at Dogs Unlimited catalog, although they also offer leather collars.  You can get a brass name plate with your name address, phone & the words REWARD for RETURN ..."MOUNTED" or BOLTED onto the collar, rather than hanging (unsafely) from it.

Double-coated dogs - like Labs DO NOT have an over-heating problem, from said collars.

• Maxi

Then purchase a 'rolled leather collar which doesn't affect its coat and isn't cruel like a chain collar

A "choke chain" is used for TRAINING ONLY !!!! Now, it is only called that because of it's looks. Place the dog's nose and head through the loop, so that the end ring, without chain going through it, is on the top of the dog's neck. ... A correctly placed choke chain releases pressure on the dog's neck immediately when slackened. Pull and release the chain lightly. Use the choke chain by pulling and releasing.

DO NOT USE A CHOKE CHAIN AS A REGULAR LEASH !!

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNSHRAWlmN...

Chain collars and choke collars are the same thing.   They're actually called "choke chains". 

If you think chains are more safe or comfortable than a nylon or leather collar, you're mistaken, especially if people put them on upside down which they often do.

Your dog lives in a fur coat.   A 1" wide nylon collar fastened to an appropriate tension is not going to make him feel hot.

As far as his coat goes, ANY collar, including a chain, is going to wear his hair around his neck.

I've seen dogs with collapsed tracheas because of choke chains.   I've also seen dogs get a collar stuck in their mouth while it's still around their neck (like a horse bit).   Once I saw a dog with a front leg stuck in a collar and the collar was up behind the front leg in the arm pit.  I've seen collars put on growing dogs (or dogs getting fat) and neck skin literally grew around the collar as the collar became too tight.

Bottom line is that any collar can be unsafe if it's not the correct size or isn't used correctly.

Chain collars were really big in the 80s and 90s.   Then the pinch collars (or power-steering collars) became a thing.   Then the gentle-leaders.   And on to the next thing...

I've always found that a simple nylon or leather collar works best for my dogs - and of course adequate training so they're not a nuisance on the leash.

ETA:  You're welcome!   Collar is a good idea 24/7 due to identification.   Things happen and even the most responsible dog owner's dog can end up on walkabout.    Microchips are great for permanent ID, but if someone in the neighborhood finds your dog, they can just walk him home if they find him.   Not that many people want to put a big German Shepherd in their car and drive it to a vet or shelter to scan the chip.    So I am a proponent of both microchipping and a collar with tags. 

• Verulam

EHA - qute right which is why I suggested using a head collar, initially.