Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 3 weeks ago

Is what Trump did bribery or extortion or a mixture?

Bribery: I want you to be nice to me before I will give you what you need.

Extortion: Do whatt I want or something bad will happen to you.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Mostly a bit of both.

• He did quite well, handling a situation where known organized crime comes from. There's more protection inside the States, than at the International or federal level.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Helloooo! ALL foreign policy is about "Quid Pro Quo",,, Do you really think the U.S. Government gives Billions of dollars to other countries for in exchange for Nothing?The only thing disappointing about Trump so far is that he hasn't FIRED half the State Dept for insubordination.

• 3 weeks ago

It can be interpreted as both, because both involve quid pro quo; you get this in return for that. Is quid pro quo wrong? Not in and of itself, but only if it's in the service or betterment of national interest/security/what-have-you.

When it's in self-interest -- as it was when Trump hinged monetary/military aid to Ukraine on the condition that they investigate an already debunked conspiracy theory against his political opponent Joe Biden for the express purpose of benefiting his own election campaign, then it is indeed a violation of Constitutional law. It constitutes an abuse of presidential authority for personal gain -- and that's a big no-no.

Even the Republicans and GOP know this is wrong -- which is why if you check out the ongoing impeachment hearings, you'll notice that not once, not a single time, has any GOP representative acknowledged Trump's actions.  See, if they acknowledge his wrongdoing, then it destroys their wimpy defense that there was no quid pro quo.  Or any of the other myriad excuses they've attempted to cook up, absent any REAL defense of Trump's action. They're even trying to float the idea that Ukraine got the money anyway, so no harm, no foul.

But that's where they're wrong.  Trump attempted extortion/bribery.  He tried his damnedest to abuse his presidential authority for his own personal gain.  That he happened to fail (this time, anyway) is neither here nor there; the TRIED. He intended to break the law, and he intended to hide his attempt to break the law.  He thought providing the transcript (which, incidentally, was incomplete and doctored, yet STILL contained proof of his crime) would make him look innocent. It didn't.  

Trump broke the law. And NO ONE is above the law.

• LoudLon
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

...and, further, commented how traitors used to be dealt with back in the old days.  That's essentially placing a bounty on the whistleblower's head, given how violent some of Trump's more "devoted" followers have proven to be.  And the GOP wonders why the Dems won't give the whistleblower up...

• 3 weeks ago

Withholding something critical to someone's survival is extortion.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • geezer
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

As far as Impeachment goes, it doesn't really matter.

It's the ''Do this for me .....'' bit that is the Impeachable bit

even before you add the ''..... and I'll do this for you'' bit.

He asked another country to potentially intefere in an upcoming election

by 'investigating' the background of a potential oponnent for him.

• 3 weeks ago

Trump isn't a lawyer.  He's a ruthless businessman.  Even if there was even a hint of legal impropriety  involved they would have to prove a lawyer advised him against it and Trump did it anyway.

• yr_nxt_bf
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

To Trump and most other billionaires, it's just business deals.  Not crime.  But you have TDS so everything he does is a crime to you.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

That would make him a common Clinton or a Biden.

• 3 weeks ago

Withholding something critical to someone's survival is extortion.

• ?
      Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

@Justin: The Ukrainians knew since May that the aid was being delayed.

• 3 weeks ago

Interesting that the transcript of the call (read it) does not have Trump threatening or offering a bribe. And he released the aid money before the call became public knowledge without getting anything in return.

How is not threatening extortion? How is releasing the money without anything in return a bribe?

You need to actually look at what he said and did, not what the Democrats wants you to think.

• 3 weeks ago

I don't care.  You forgot about what you are supposed to prove, which you have not even attempted. You are supposed to PROVE beyond a reasonable doubt that there was no US interest in investigating Biden. 

I think there was. I think Trump was well within his rights to ask for Biden to be investigated. 

• Ro
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Raisin, what happened? Did the snowflakes get your other account suspended?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.