What do I do when my ex wants to keep her name on the house?

So we recently broke up and she moved back in with her parents. Both us and our parents invested a lot of time and money to fix it up for when we moved in. We had mutually agreed to have her name taken off the deed and I would pay them back for everything they invested in. I was the one who broke off the relationship because I truly wasn’t in love anymore. I asked no questions about their total and told them to just give me the number and I’ll pay it back. I still don’t know what it is but it’s more than 2 grand. But recently my ex told me aside from the money she still wants her name on the deed. I’m not sure what to do. I feel like it wouldn’t be a good idea for me. I’m planning on telling her that she can keep her name on the deed UNTIL I pay them back all the money they invested into the house along with manual labor and their time. I could see maybe she’s just not trying to lose or have me cheat her out of her money. After paying them back she wouldn’t have anything to lose from my perspective. But I also don’t want to be cheated out of the home along with my money from where we stand right now. If she agrees to that then a contract would come in handy and I would send the money through checks so the receipts can keep a track of how much has been officially paid.

I wouldn’t expect them to be the type of people who play dirty but then again, you never truly know who they are until you’re on their bad side. It’s not something I expected from my ex so I’m slightly in shock. She even made a comment if I couldn’t pay the mortgage then to let her know because she doesn’t want me to “ruin her credit”

If you live in a community property state all this informal negotiation is pointless because she likely owns 50% of the house and would be stupid to quick claim it to you for a measly two grand. What to do is go talk to a lawyer so you actually know what's legal and what's not.

Would you be happy if she wanted to keep the house and just pay you and your parents out? No? Then can you see why she's not happy either?

• Tj

Simple, get a loan or whatever and give her half of the value of the home, then she will have a lawyer do all paper work and get her name removed.

The fair thing to do is to buy her out, which means giving her half the value of the house. That's what she's going to ask for anyway

You have two options here: either you both agree on how this is to be handled, or you get an attorney to advise and advocate for you legally. I'd also advise you to keep it as simple and as uncomplicated as possible, without jumping through all these hoops, trying to be nice to everyone.   

• Linda

This is an issue for an attorney. I do not think you can legally remove her name especially if her family put a lot of money into the house bc it is rightfully half hers. In a marriage relationship, this is something a judge divides. In an unmarried couple, it is a bit different and you need an attorney to look at it and discuss with you your options. 

EDITED

She would be a fool to let you pay her when you wanted to. If you want the house you should go to a finance company and get her the money to buy her out. I really doubt it you would do the same thing with her.

• Ace Shorty

She'd be foolish to take her name off of it. He may not think the house is worth as much as she does and then there would be hades to pay. He is being unreasonable.

• In

Have a written document where she agrees to remove her name from the deed once all money owed is paid.  Document all loan repayments.  I suggest writing checks with a note in the space stating it is for repayment of loan.  When they cash the check they have acknowledged payment toward satisfaction of the debt.  If she reneges on the agreement then you have documentation to take to court, which in this case will probably be "Master in Equity".  You are eventually going to need the services of an attorney to draw up the new deed and have it recorded, so it wouldn't hurt to contact one up front to draft the agreement.

• In

The question stated "We had mutually agreed to have her name taken off the deed and I would pay them back for everything they invested in."

how do u consider yourself being cheated out of the house and not her? I say she is the one whom u re trying to cheat - she and her parents invested their time and money, why on earth should she take her name off the deed? she should be half retarded to do that. she does not want to take her name off the deed and guess what - she does not need to. this is her house as well as yours

• ..

You need to consult a solicitor, there are legal issues that need considering.