Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 3 weeks ago

Why is best answer called best answer?

It's voted by the asker. It's not a best answer for everyone who see this question. Maybe it should be "favorite answer" or "choice answer" or something else. What do you think about it?

to CarolOklaNola:

sorry that I used the wrong word. I know it's chosen by the asker. So shouldn't it be called "choice answer" not "best answer"? From my observation, best answer is always not the best one imo.

There was once a time when if the OP didn’t choose a best answer within 2 weeks, it would go for a vote. Then the community could vote for it. So maybe it’s left over from that?

I completely agree with you, but I guess the people at YA chose the first term that would pop into anyone's head.

People have different opinions, I agree. It is the asker who gets to vote the best answer to his question. I think that other titles like "favourite answer" or "choice answer" will discourage users from feeling like they read something useful. 

Because "Best" covers a lot of ground----

Best as in most helpful?

Best as in funniest? 

Best as in, most insightful? 

Best as in,   best referenced and sourced? 

all depends what your idea of "Best" is. 

• .

Since the person who posted the question is the one seeking information, their opinion of which answer is "best" is what matters. The answer doesn't have to be the 'best' for anyone else, because if someone else  wants a different answer, they can post their own question. When you ask a question of your friends or co-workers, or any other group, YOU decide which answer is most helpful to you. It doesn't matter if someone else would think one of the other answers you received was more helpful. You ask the question, you decide which response or responses are the most useful to YOU.

.

As for using the word 'Best' it's just how Yahoo chose to program the site. We don't control it, we can't change it, and ultimately it doesn't really matter what it's called (the results are the same). The idea was for the site to be for people to post knowledge seeking questions, and get quality answers to those questions. The site wasn't reprogrammed because some users will choose "sosososososos" as BA just to get their 3 pts back.

• Zirp

It's a left-over from when questions went to a vote when the asker didn't pick a "best answer΅ fast enough. Yahoo naively thought that the answer that wins the vote must be best.

In reality, lots of answers became "best" only because its author was the only one who voted in the allotted time

• Yahoo didn't put much thought into the site when they created that feature, and I'm sure they don't care ... although you do have a valid point 

• Daniel

Its Called Best Answer Because thats the Answer that the Asker Feels was the Best Answer that was good and Answered the Question that they were looking for

It is called the best answer because the asker selects it.  You would have to ask Yahoo because they are the one to name it.  You only get opinions here.  My opinion is that it is the best answer so call it such.  You are not voting when one person is involved so that word is out.  You could always go to the suggestion board and ask and maybe someone at Verizon Media will change it some day.

• Lôn

"A rose by any other name...."