Izzy asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 4 weeks ago

On Friday I took at most 15,000 mg of Tylenol.  It’s now Monday and I haven’t told anyone or gone to the hospital. Will I be okay?

On Friday after I overdosed, I threw up nine times in that day. I can hold down liquids and solids and so I can use the restroom. I can talk normally and I don’t have any confusion. I just get a bit tired every now and then but when I wake up I feel a bit better. I haven’t thrown up blood or peed out blood. I know what I did was stupid and I should tell my parents but I’m terrified they’ll be mad at me and won’t help. Did throwing up help get rid of some of the Tylenol out of my system? Will I be okay?

By the time you have outward signs of liver failure, you could, at worst, have a very few days to live without a transplant. Even if you qualify for a transplant, it takes time to find a donor and have all the necessary pre-operative testing done. IF you are reading this because you have done the same thing, DO NOT WAIT TO TELL, HOPING IT WASN'T ENOUGH TO CAUSE SERIOUS HARM. Getting help now will allow something to be done if possible. After that, get therapy support, even if if the trigger has passed. You might be tempted again next time something very distressing happens.

• Izzy4 weeks agoReport

When do outward signs normally occur?

More than 3000 mg per day can damage your liver. Tell your parents now, before the damage gets worse.

• sasha

Its likely the vomiting got most of the drug out of your system, hopefully before any permanent liver or kidney damage.

You should tell your parents or someone - you need help on WHY you took all that Tylenol. Saying you know it was stupid doesn't fix the reason you did it.

You took a potentially fatal dose of Tylenol and unless you vomited within 20 minutes of taking them they will have been absorbed into your blood stream. Unfortunately it's too late for the antidote and there's no other other medical treatment available at this stage. You won't show symptoms of liver failure until 80% of the organ has died which can take up to 2 weeks so you're not out of the woods yet. If your liver is failing your only hope is a liver transplant and the sooner you're on the transplant list the greater your hopes of finding one in time. This really is a matter of life or death so you need to confide in a trusted adult right now. 

• Peri4 weeks agoReport

If there's no one you can go to who will take you to ER, go yourself immediately.

probably but i wouldnt do it again and i would get some help for your issues

• Autumn

Uninformed answers like this could kill someone.

Nope, you aren't going to be okay and it's really too late to do anything now.