do I still need to provide proof of registration for car I no longer have?

a few months ago I was pulled over and long story short, he gave me a fix it ticket to have proof of current registration and change of address. I got the change of address done, however I no longer own that car, as I traded it in to a dealership for something else. I have all the old paperwork for it and everything, but obviously haven't done the registration cuz I no longer own it. what do I do?

No

Since you no longer have the car, then you can't provide proof of registration. Holding onto OLD paperwork...well it is old.  Why you did not include the registration WITH the car(as it BELONGS TO THE CAR, NOT YOU).  This makes it easier for the new owner to transfer the registration into his name.  Registration form has the VIN on it and make and year and model of the vehicle.

Why the dealership did not ask for that paperwork is beyond me.  The insurance papers are yours from your old car and only insures your old car WHILE YOU OWNED IT.  Now it is fire starter. . You should be able to provide proof that you sold or traded it in. Date, & when & address  and name of buyer.  As best as you can recall.   The buyer will be registering it and insuring it when he gets it so it is NOT YOURS ANYMORE.

. I would sit on it and wait it out.  usually it sorts itself out as the computer will show it is being registered in someone else's name(the dealer ship name.)...until a new buyer registers it in his name.

• g

"do I still need to provide proof of registration for car I no longer have?"

Of course not.  But did you submit a release of liability to your state's DMV offices?  If not, GET ON IT!  

The ticket won't go away just because you ignore it. You need to turn up in court with your disposal paperwork to show you no longer own the vehicle.

• Edna

No, Anon - an answer isn't reported as "dangerous" just because someone thinks it  might be. Who's to say what's "dangerous" & what's not - none of us are professionals & all we can do  is offer our opinion.

• May

You show the court (judge) proof that you sold the car on a date after you got the ticket and before you went to court.

Do not worry about it. If you sold the car you "fixed" the registration problem as the new owner now has it registered.

There should be a number or an address in the fix ticket if you have any questions.  Call or write.  Better yet, go there.

Go to DMV or court and clear the matter up, or that ticket will be on your record and cause problems in the future. I doubt they issue warrants for fix it tickets, but it needs to be cleared up.

• M.

You don't clear up tickets at the DMV.
      If it's a fix-it ticket, you're supposed to visit the agency that gave the ticket, and they sign it.
      Otherwise you deal with tickets in a court.

• Scott

Since you no longer have the car, then you can't provide proof of registration, can you? You should be able to provide proof that you sold or traded it in.

You provide proof to the court by certified mail that you no longer own the vehicle because you traded it to such-and-such dealership and you plead not guilty. If you supply the documentation with the not guilty plea they'll likely simply adjudicate you not guilty and close the case and not even make you come to court. however if they do tell you to come to court to support your not guilty plea bring with you the proof that you traded the automobile 2 an auto dealership. After you got the ticket.

• JetDoc

You go to court and tell your story to the Judge.

• Edna

You don't have to pay a fix-it ticket for the change of address or discuss it with anybody.  A fix-it ticket is just a warning ticket & as such, it, carries no fine.  The problem with your registration is a different story. Show the paperwork from the dealer when you traded in the car to the judge.