Can I as a tenant put up a ring doorbell?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

I doubt your landlord would care if you used a wireless doorbell. You can stick on the bell push so no holes need be drilled. You can place the bell/chime wherever you wish as no wiring is involved.

• 3 weeks ago

You "can", if you have the DIY skills and tools, but whether the LL wants to let you do that would depend upon your specific circumstances that you'd have to look into. The general rule is that you need LL permission to make any sort of permanent modifications to their structure. If your "ring doorbell" is wireless and self-adhesive backing, or other non-permanent fasteners, it may be easier to get the LL's consent than one requiring drilling holes or putting screws into their structure. You may get permission to install something permanently but not realize that it then becomes legally "theirs" and you can't legally take it when you move out, without getting their permission.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Sure, why not.  Why would they even care?

• 3 weeks ago

Only with approval from your landlord.  Tenants cannot make any changes to a rental without landlord permission.  Get said permission in writing. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Installing anything external of your unit would require the landlord to approve.  Otherwise, there would be nothing preventing them from removing it at any time...

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Theft of a tenant's property is a good way for a landlord to be arrested, so there's that.

• 3 weeks ago

Get landlords written permission... you may have to leave it when you eventually leave also.

• 3 weeks ago

law likely has not caught up, but I could see a landlord being allowed to prohibit it...

it would default to 20th century law...which basically says you can't alter the property in any way....

but a ring door bell is more just like plugging in a lamp from what I know, you are just attaching it to electric already there.....although you would be removing the current bell (which you would have to replace when you move)....this is a very minor alteration.

in an apartment it is outright RUDE to your neighbors who will be recorded outside their homes/coming and going...and it is likely ILLEGAL to record audio....

it may be legally okay on your private property, but the cameras also pick up other people's property....even if you are in an apartment...if there is a door directly across from yours, you will be recording inside that unit every time they open the door.

• 3 weeks ago

I can't see how they'd object to a wireless one neatly attached to the door post; but don't damage uPVC doors.  Just ask before doing it. 

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

That is a question you need to ask your landlord and ask in writing keeping a copy of the letter

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.