Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

Is it acceptable to add a tipping note to food deliveries?

So, I work for a food delivery company PT to help save for medical school applications, flights to interviews etc. Long story short many customers don't tip well (example, $4 tip for a $90 order but given a 5 star rating). I have an overall 5.0 star rating so I don't think it's my quality of service at fault, Would it be acceptable to place a business card inside the delivery bags that says something along the lines of " Thank you for your business. All tips will go towards my medial school process expenses. Thank you for helping me make my dream come true" ( and add a peppermint or something) I don't want to come off too pushy as I know I can't force anyone to give more.

Sorry , not a good idea. It's not their concern why you do

the work you do .

I'd be happy with that $ 4 tip and five star rating .

Bad idea. Chances are someone will get offended, call your boss, and then he/she will more than likely fire you. I'm pretty sure that goes against company policy. At the very least ask your boss first

This approach kinda reminds me of that doorman on "The Jeffersons" who always had his hand out after he came to their door, and wouldn't leave until he was given his expected tip. Lol

hello how ere u today?

People tip because they want to not because they have to. Contrary to your beliefs, in the real world outside your fantasy land nobody owes you anything! I don't understand why people believe they deserve a tip for doing the job they get paid to do..

Delivering groceries to a person's house isn't like waiting tables at a restaurant where servers wages are less!

I certainly wouldn't tip anyone for delivering groceries anymore than I would tip a bag boy bagging my groceries at a grocery store check out.         UPS, FedEX, DHL... drivers rarely if ever get tipped for delivering packages so what makes you so special and deserving?

If the company you work for would allow that one supposes it would be okay. However, a lot of people who order food at home are elderly shut-ins who probably can't afford much of a tip. It might be different if you're delivering high end goods in a wealthy neighborhood and most of your customers are rolling in dough.

As a matter of fact, while I wouldn't mind your note (though I would reserve the right not to tip you all the same), I would find the peppermint nauseatingly servile.

you can try doing that

nope, because that is a passive- aggressive way of saying "pay me". it ceases to become a tip and becomes a fee, since you expect monetary gain

• PAMELA

No you cannot force anyone to give a tip, and it would be very rude to expect one all the time.

Don't do it. asking for money is an affront to some people. You get reported. You lose your job.