Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 weeks ago

How to politely get out of playing with children at family get-togethers?

I'm 29 and my husband and I have been married for about five years. She comes from a large family if I have children, and now there are several nieces and nephews in the mix as well. They range in age from 6 to infant. My husband and I have never wanted children of our own, but he can interact with kids and play with them. Kids love him. I just plain don't care for kids. I don't like them and didn't even when I was one. The last few years I have dreaded the holidays because every time we go, the kids immediately start asking for piggyback rides and to come play with doll houses, Legos etc. If they were attention starved, I could have some sympathy...but they're actual brats. I don't like playing kid games at all and I really hate that you can't say no without the adults in the room looking and acting like you're an awful person. It doesn't help that they're probably already annoyed I don't go to the kid birthdays and school stuff...but I never wanted to be an involved aunt.  I'm fully ready to just say no nicely and deal with the glares this year because I'm tired of it. But is there a polite way to go about it?

I have no clue who "she" is but if you and your husband don't like kids you can always just try to distance yourselves. But children are considered the future of any family and if no one has them your clan soon devolves into one or two elderly people with no one to care for them. So understand the necessity of offspring, don't be militant about your childless-by-choice views and just stand with the adults at these gatherings. Kids aren't stupid and after they face your cold shoulders a few times they'll soon learn that you two aren't child friendly. Just don't expect these nieces and nephews to be lending you a hand when you need help in later life.

Those kids will be adults some day when you are old and they will remember how you treated them. That’s no slight on you, just something to keep in mind.

• Jack2 weeks agoReport

They won’t always be kids, they will become adults who remember the people who embraced them as children, and those who did not.

They are KIDS and rude or not just be nice and I don't see why it is such a great deal.  Come on now!  Be nice.  They may be a pain the butt, they are still kids.

• DeLayne

OMG! Aren't you that idiot who's still a virgin???

• GB

You could just stop going to the family get-togethers.

It's very easy. kids come up to you and ask for a piggyback ride and you say your husband will play with them. and turn away.

they'll get it that you're not that way.

not rocket science, you just don't want to do what you have to do to make your point.

just dont go if you feel that way

If you don't want to interact with the kids, then don't do it. It's not rocket science.

• Linda

If your husband enjoys interacting with the kids and you do not, then let him have fun but if the kids start jumping on you say please don't do that honey. Get on Richard. Or whatever your husband's name is. If they ask you to play hide and seek etc say not today honey. If you act like you don't want to play with the kids, then do not. Kids usually will sense when they are not liked. 

If you don't want to be a part of your family, perhaps you should go and live far away from them. If you really don't want to be involved with society - of which children are a large and important part - go live on a desert island. 

• DeLayne

I would LOVE to go live on a deserted island to get away from people like YOU!

Try to talk with adults as soon as possible and just sit down somewhere with the adults. You can say to a kid I’m sorry hunny is it okay if I sit here