Whats the diffetence between a single and an album?

So if a singer releases a single its one songbut is the song from the album? How does it work

A single is one song, and its purpose tends to be to promote an upcoming album that it will be featured on. Several singles can be released for an album; these are the songs that will probably get the most radio play and streams. However, an artist can release a single completely on its own if they wish. At the end of the day it's music that fans can listen to and enjoy.

A single can be up to 3 songs. 

Source(s): nothing
  • WUWR

It's been said already, but I feel like saying it again for fun. A single is a release of generally 1 or 2 songs. In the olden days, it was two with the "single" and the B-side. Now that everything is digital it's often just the one tune. There are also sort of extended singles (sort of a gray area between a single and an EP) where you might get to four tunes. I've seen EPs with as many as 7 songs. Accurate or not, I kind of distinguish singles and EPs by content. I see a single as a promotional tool for a record and thus featuring a song that is or will be on a full release. I think this is a simple distinguisher between singles and EPs. If you don't have an album cut, it's not really a single in my book. The other test is that 1-4 song pocket. Radiohead screwed all this up with Airbag (How's My Driving) and its 7 songs which makes me consider it an EP despite leading with an album track, but I'll just write that off as "the exception that proves the rule."

Singles used to come in a small vinyl record and they are played at 45 rpm. Albums are bigger, containing more songs and are usually played at 33 rpm. The slower speed of the albums allow more songs to be fitted and that is why they are also called LP (Long Playing) records. Singles have 2 songs. The A side is the main attraction, and the B side is usually not as good. Singles sold for a lot less money and often they have a big hole in the middle to save money making them. The hole needs an adapter included with the turntable to play the single.In the early 1970s for example, an album may sell for $5, unless they are on sale. I did not buy many singles, if any, but I think they sold for $1 or less each.

Singles are often released from an album, but they do not have to. Some groups or solo acts may release a single without an album. And some may release an album but no singles.

SIngles usually (but not always) come with a simple paper sleeve, but albums often include artwork for the cover. The Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers album include a real zipper on the front with a photograph of a pair of jeans. Inside the covers of Joni Mitchell's album For the Roses, there is a photo of her naked butt and back.

it is actually not that simple of a question to answer because the definition sort of changes slightly with every format change. 

78 era: a single was a single 78, usually 2 recorded songs. an album was an album of 78s. albums at this stage were usually collections of previously released songs, but not always.

45 and LP era: a single was a single 45 rpm record, usually 7 inch with 2 recorded songs, but longer 12 inch singles exist too. an album was a long playing 33 1/3rd rpm collection of songs. sometimes singles were taken from an album sometimes not. sometimes the same song was included in a longer version on the album and the 45 would include a short version with a fade out.

also around this era single takes on an additional meaning, that of a song that a band has designated for radio airplay. this further confuses the issue because these songs weren't always released on 45.

CD era: in this era, albums and singles were distributed through the same physical format, the CD. a single is no longer restrained by the limits of a side of a record and it becomes whatever amount of music doesn't feel like long enough to be called an EP (extended play, shorter than an LP, longer than a single) and could sometimes include 3 or 4 songs. sometimes these songs will be included on an album, sometimes not, but increasingly at this stage it seems like more bands made an effort to have at least something on the single that isn't also on the album, an extended take or a live version or something.

also around this era single takes on yet another additional meaning, that of a song that the band has made a music video around.

digital era: no longer limited by physical media in any way, a single means a single song released separately from an album. sometimes that song is included in an album, sometimes not.

also in this era, vinyl makes a comeback and once again a single could once again mean whatever was released on a 45 rpm record

well, i hope i have confused you completely!

A single is a single song. Usually 3-5 minutes in length.

An album is a collection of songs.

An artist can release a single that is not on any current or future album. An artist can release an album of songs, none of which were releases as a single.

Add to this long form (15+minute) classical or jazz compositions. When they are released, they are often called albums.

A single is one song and an Album normally has six songs each side my friend.

• Kathy

A single is one song, an album is a bunch of songs.

Singles can come from albums or completely independent. They are usually the most commercially attractive tracks to promote the artists.