Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 3 weeks ago

Detective is wanting to talk?

So long story short. A girlfriend and I went out one night to a bar and she met up with some guy and his buddies. We left the bar with them thinking they where going to take us home but instead they wanted to make a stop first. We ended up a little outside of town at this underground casino. When we entered we seen that it was a gambling ring and almost everyone in there was smoking meth. Along with prostitution going on. We wanted no part in that so we instantly left. Scared and not knowing where we were or what those guys where capable of doing my friend called the non emergency line. We went walking to the closest street lights/business and Police pulled up. We told the officer what we seen and he radioed it in to the other officers and im not sure what all took place after that. he waited with us until our lyft arrived and we left. Now a detective is trying to contact me. I honestly want no part in what ever was going on at that place. Is it the law that i have to be involved in this or talk to an investigator? Or can i remain silent?

This happened in California, if that helps. Also the story could have been a whole lot longer but I did my best to sum it up and not leave out anything important.

• Ann

Your mistake was getting involved with the people you got a ride with.  I hope they didn't get any personal information from you and they don't know you at all.  The detective is doing his job.  The police have probably been watching that bar for a while, and if they think there is some valid information about its illegal business, they're trying to get their case together.  You can tell the detective you don't want to get involved because of the potential danger, and maybe they will be able to protect your anonymity. I understand your hesitancy, but he's doing his job, and that's how these places get put out of business. 

• Lili

If you're not a troll, talk to a lawyer.  That's the only advice anyone here should be giving you.

You're not in trouble, and you're not "involved" in whatever was going on, so there's really no reason you should be so reluctant to talk to the detective, but if you really don't want to, see a lawyer about your rights and the best way to handle this.

• Cee

It's up to you... You never know, you may wind up in Witness Protection.

• james

In the U.S. such places do not exist with out cop protection. So it is time you talk to the Feds if you want to save your ask. 

the story could have been a whole lot longer but I did my best to sum

NO ONE is ever successful in such an attempt.

That said, GOOD fiction doesn't try to pack HALF that much BS into a single event. That goes double when you wouldn't know MOST of what you claim even if it were true.

• Bruce

You are never under any obligation to speak with police. You can decline the interview. 

Simply ask the detective.   Answer the questions truthfully.

YES AND NO

If they really want your testimony to pursue a conviction they will hassle you to death.

You called them and gave them a first-hand account of the incident and to deny your claim now can be seen as an obstruction of an investigation.

Of course, you can simply not remember the exact location of the incident or anything about the person who gave you a lift to the establishment.

The cops know that you can wiggle out of it with a memory lapse so ultimately they would let you stay out of legal proceedings.

How is this a long story short? You can sum that up in four sentences and some of those sentences would have been better used expalining your location, respective of laws in that region. Look You cannot be convicted of a crime without evidence. You cannot be convicted of a state crime. You cannot be convicted of a federal crime. If there is no evidence against you, under the law, it simply is not possible for the prosecutor's office to obtain a conviction. Also Rape is an awkward enough topic as it is, let alone when it happens to men we picture as muscular heroes willing to take a bullet for us.