Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 8 months ago

Is Steven Spielberg overrated as a film maker ?

I only really like 3 of his movies anymore: Jaws, Close Encounters and ET and overall his films seem a bit childish, silly, overly simplistic and corny nowadays. 

• snafu
    Favorite Answer

They can be a bit mawkish and over sentimental at times but overall he’s a good film maker.  The Indiana Jones films were great, except the third one,  which wasn’t.

• Gonzo

The BFG was terrible, but he made a lot of good movies. He is not an artistic director though. 

I think so. Few good movies.

Really, Munich, Schindler's List, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire of the Sun, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Color Purple, Catch Me If You Can, War Horse, Lincoln... that's just a few from his Director credits. 

• Adam D

He's had a few misses, like any filmmaker, but I'd say it isn't a stretch to call him one of the all-time greats.

"childish, silly, overly simplistic and corny nowadays" - how does this description apply to Close Encounters of the Third Kind?  Empire of the Sun?  Schindler's List?  Saving Private Ryan?  Amistad?  Memoirs of a Geisha?  The Post?

I think you're judging his work based solely on a few examples from a small selection of genres.  Spielberg has made films across pretty much all genres, with various target audiences.  Were movies like ET and Hook a bit childish and simplistic (and corny)?  Well sure, they were made for children, you can't fault a duck for having webbed feet.

Not in my opinion. There are few, if any film makers that have had as many big hits as Spielberg.

Yes and no. He did films that he knew would make money, just like Transformers, except with a different attitude. I can't remember his last good movie. War Horse was bad, and so was that pop culture cannibalism movie.

• Jen

I think he is a good film maker and a prolific one. Some of his movies are a bit childish, but he has made some good dramas. My favorite movie of his is "The Color Purple."

Very overrated like Stephen King. They have a few successes and for some reason people praise all their efforts.

• Petter

No, he obviously appeal to the masses. That per se does not make him overrated, just popular. He's no Kieślowski or Bergman, but no one ever said he was either.