Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 3 weeks ago

Is it safe to say that November is winter? ?

I just moved to Alaska this year and I live in Anchorage. It usually starts snowing here around November but winter doesn’t start till December 21st. So can it be winter in November since it’s already snowing? I’m asking because I love taking pictures of the snow and I post them in social media and I put captions like “Winter is here” or “it’s officially winter” something like that but my friends from Texas, I’m from Texas, comment like “dude how is it winter there already” or “wtf? It’s winter there already?” I’m just confused lol

Officially winter doesn't start in the NH until December 21st, anything before that would be considered the fall months.

However, in many places in North America, wintry weather can occur as early as late September, and continue on/off throughout the fall months, leading into the official winter season. Likewise, winter weather can also occur well into May in many parts of NA as well.

To answer your question, I would say November brings a lot of wintry weather.

Winter in the Northern hemisphere, begins December 21. In the Southern hemisphere, our Winter is their Summer. Winter in the Southern hemisphere begins June 20

• Zirp

No

Calendar-winter starts december 21st

Meteorological winter starts december 1st

There is a difference in practical meaning of the season names and the solar-based definitions.  I see snow on the ground outside right now, so that means winter to me (I need winter clothes and winter tires on the car), whether or not the sun's location has hit the defined marker that defines the onset of winter.

We people often talk about early winter or late spring, or long summer, or anything along those lines which refers to the weather itself in this particular year, rather than whatever the sun and star alignments are indicating.  Winter came early this year where I live.  The sun location is not relevant to what I have to deal with outside.

• TQ

LOL!. Weather doesn't care about a solstice or an equinox.

wrong forum.  belongs in  Earth Sciences & Geology

• audrey

Winter has already started in NC too. 21 degrees last week on the outskirts of Charlotte.

Astronomical winter — what most people think of as winter — is defined by Earth's position around the sun and ranges from the winter solstice to the vernal equinox.

No, while it's like winter, winter doesn't officially begin until Dec 21 or 22.