? asked in SportsFootball (American) · 3 weeks ago

Can you lose a sports bet that you originally won if something happens in the post-event?

The reason I ask is today I placed a bet on Lewis Hamilton to finish on the podium. He finished third (which is the last spot on the podium) so Draftkings said that I won. But now I'm reading that Hamilton was stripped of third place because he got a penalty after the race. Does that mean I will now lose the bet?

Yes, you lose. I had the winning horse in the Kentucky Derby, won $100 - until the steward's inquiry that stripped the winner of the win. I got zip.

• Kathy

You could lose the bet.

Yes, you can lose the bet for that.

• Bob

Yes it means that you lose.

• DEBS

Official results are what matters.  If this was a 'game day' disqualification, then you lose.  If this was something stripped from him days, weeks, or years later, then you keep your winnings.  

In this case, the 5 second penalty came before the results were final so you'd be out of luck.  Of course, they're investigating possible further penalties against the now 3rd place finisher so it's all in the air at this point.