does a diabetic have to test their blood while in a restaurant?

A type 1 diabetic should check their glucose before eating every time in case they're low, they don't want to inject insulin on top of that, or if they're high, they might add a correction dose to their insulin and wait longer before eating. It is not always essential, especially if they have a CGM/FGM.

I test over 20 times a day, definitely before meals. I like the libre sensor because I can scan with my phone anytime and I don’t need to draw blood. I look at a meal and if there’s a lot of pasta or sugar in it then I look at what my current glucose level is and I use however much insulin I need to cover the sugar and carbs. Before I had that sensor I would just test in the car before going in.

they may need to, if they need insulin prior to meals

• Shay

It really depends on each diabetic and what their doctor recommends for them to do.  

Type 2 diabetic - probably not

Type 1 diabetic - maybe - the amount of insulin they take is based on calculating what they are going to eat and considers the reading they are starting at.

Most diabetics I know that test before meals usually test in the car before entering the restaurant.  

It depends on the individual person. Some need to take tests at a restaurant (usually in the toilet) but some test themselves before leaving home or do it in the car before going into the restaurant. As a type-2 diabetic I have tested myself in a toilet cubicle and given myself insulin, in the car before going into a restaurant but more often before I leave home for a restaurant.

Some diabetics, usually type-1, have or use an automatic testing and injecting insulin pack that monitors their blood sugars without anyone noticing.

depends on the person and whats going on

friend it's inappropriate to set there at the table and get your diabetic test when all you have to do is walk into the bathroom stall it only takes a second. You should have some concern for the people around you get up and go into the bathroom.if you have to stick yourself with a needle or if you have to check your blood do it where everybody else can't see you.

• sparrow

Do you ever stain the table cloth with blood?

Type 1 diabetics need to test their blood glucose levels before and after eating, but rarely during a meal.  If someone was at a restaurant for several hours, they might need to excuse themselves to test.  Many diabetics today have monitors that will inform them if their blood sugar is dangerously high or low.  

The last place most diabetics need to eat is at a restaurant.

Generally not.