Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 4 weeks ago

Where do people who owe you money get this crazy reasoning?

Let's say someone owes you $10k. Then you win $50k in the lotto. Then this person says "I don't owe you any more money  cause you just got $50k, right?"

What does one have to do with the other????

People are stupid....or crazy...

• Nuff Sed

"Never underestimate the ignorance of the American public."

To which you answer "now that I have $50k I can pay someone to break your legs if you don't pay me inside a week".

Anyway, I've never heard of anyone using this logic.

• Nuff Sed

For HALF that money, someone around here could "make them disappear", but then you're still out the money.

It, most likely, means that they never intended to pay you back and were looking for any excuse.

That windfall, became the excuse.

It doesn't. The debtor still owes the creditor $10,000.

Currently I have around $20k in savings. I am NOT a delusional idiot who thinks well since I have money then I will just lend it to someone, and that person will give it back to me. People already asked me, for money, and do you know what I said? NO!!!

Sometimes I tell people I am broke, or I don't have any money. Sometimes I just say no.

I think you are going to have to accept losing $10k, and you can only blame yourself, for that.

• Nuff Sed

We don't know that the $10k is "lost", but now OP can afford the legal fees to try to collect it.

It has nothing to do with one another. Unless the person is the person that sold you the lottery ticket. And then in such a person's mind they might reason that they gave you $50,000 by selling you the lottery ticket.

They DON'T. The so called friend NEVER intended to pay you back and just used any excuse that came up as a reason you don't need the money.

• Judy

nothing. I have never heard anyone use that line.

• Nuff Sed

I've heard similar, as in, "you're rich so why are you trying to squeeze me for return of a few thousand dollars you don't actually need?" 

It's a pathetic excuse not to pay it back. They know deep down it's an unreasonable and wrong attitude. Tell then to grow up and be responsible for their debts and to learn self respect. 

Faulty logic. Unless he can produce the person he bribed to get you that win, you now have money to throw away on a lawyer chasing that weaseling POS down.