Anonymous

My Ancestry dna said 26% Italian and showed Ashkenazi/ Levantine along side of it? ?

What does this mean?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Best answer

    >99% of human DNA is identical in all living people. The remaining <1% differs. 

    Certain DNA variants aka mutations are more prevalent in some populations than in others. DNA companies like ancestry.com or 23andme analyze these to assign you to a population. They have a database of DNA variants that are more prevalent in certain world regions, like Italy/Greece, Iberian peninsula, British Isles, Scandinavia, etc. 

    So let's suppose they analyzed 1000 variable positions in your genome, and they found that approximately 260 of them are found almost exclusively in Italy, while others are almost private to Ashkenazi Jewish populations. I guess that's how (more or less) it works.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    Why are you coming here and not the lab who breaks it all down and explains it all?

  • 3 weeks ago

    Jews/Semites are related to Italians.

  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    it means 11 or 12 of your 46 chromosomes have been found in a bunch of italians that the DNA-company had in their database already

    and even fewer have been found in ashkenazis that the company had in the database

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

    Using DNA for ancestry has to be done with caution. Certain strands of DNA are common in particular parts of the world so if most of the people with that particular strand of DNA are found in Italy, it will say you are XX% Italian. People with the same DNA could easily be found in France, Switzerland, Austria or Slovenia. National boundaries are human artefact and DNA is no respecter of such boundaries. 

    People from western Asia have DNA indicators too. Most people tend to stay close to where they were born but Jews travelled the world. Tens of thousands of Europeans crusaded in western Asia and many had wives and children there who returned to Europe. It is likely that your western Asian DNA came from those sources.

    Don't worry, 50,000 years ago all your ancestors were Asian and 50,000 years before that they were all African.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    It means you're Jewish, not a Roman (or even Itali)

    update - and I bet you think that means your grandfather came from the Island. They’re like the Hispani, some forgotten Emperor granted them rites … they’re not from the same blood to start with.

    • Anon2 weeks agoReport

      UPDATE: What the hell are you talking about? Pretty sure you don't even know. 

  • 3 weeks ago

    It means Jewish. Your Italians were Jews.

    Source(s): google
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.