john d asked in PetsRodents · 3 weeks ago

where can I get a 20 dollar guinea pig?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Nathan
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

You can not buy one guinea pig, they must live in pairs (neutered male and female) or groups (one neutered male and multiple females). The male MUST be neutered. You can find them on rehoming sites or selling sites for free or low prices.

They MUST have at least 8 square feet of space each, so a cage is not adequate, neither are most hutches. They are very expensive to maintain and require veterinary attention at least once in their lives, which is expensive but it is illegal not to seek veterinary attention when they need it and you could be charged with animal cruelty.

Guinea pigs need a mixture of pellets, fresh vegetables and hay. They should be allowed to free roam the majority of the day, most people turn one room into their home so that they have enough space.

They HATE to cuddle, or be picked up all the time. They are not a cuddly pet, they are a pet you can watch but it causes lots of stress for them to be interacted with like you would with a cat or dog.

They live for around 10 years, and are a very long term high maintenance commitment. Bedding must be hemp, fleece, aspen or paper based and non scented. All others (especially woodshavings) are toxic and will cause respiratory infections (that need veterinary attention) and kill them.

Hours of research must be done, you can't simply buy one and expect it to not die from stress or depression (it will). It's easy to neglect small animals, but you will be criminally charged for it.

• Donna
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

If that's what you want it's cheap.

• Angel
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I’m not sure where you can find one for that price, but check shelters, Craig’s list, pet section in the papers.

We rescued our 5 pigs, their cage, food etc for $25.00 at the shelter.  We have enough pelleted food for three months, all we need to provide is fresh treats.

• 3 weeks ago

My trio of piggies were free from the animal shelter, they normally don't take them so happy that I took them. Wonderful piggies too.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

i wouldn´t say in the street

• 3 weeks ago

Probably craigslist, that’s where i got a $5 chinchilla so you’ll probably find a guinea pig in no more than 2 days

• Nathan
      Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

Most animals on Craigslist are neglected. I hope you've done the extensive research needed in how to care for them, do not trust pet shops, and chinchilla should not be housed alone

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.