Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

When I give my name people always ask if I’m related to the serial killer, how should I respond?

My last name is Dahmer. I am related to Jeffrey but he’s a second cousin of my fathers so he’s not a close relative. I only met him once and I was about 10 at the time. I do remember it but only because of who his father was. Some of the family remove themselves from Jeffrey’s family but my grandfather did not. I’ve never going to visit Jeffrey when he was in prison then my parents made us go to the burial when he died.

So how do I respond when people ask me how I’m related.? I’m afraid if I say how they’re going to judge me like if it were my brother or father rather than my parents 2nd cousin.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Mark
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

People are free to think and believe whatever they wish. Your view isn't likely to change that. So it doesn't actually matter what they think or say, because it's really none of your business. When you truly understand that, you're a free person.

Nevertheless, if someone hassles you, just say: "Thank you." Leave it at that. If they go: "why are you thanking me?" again, just say: "Because, thank you." Thank you has NO response. When someone in ego takes on someone else, they're looking to engage to keep that ego alive - subconsciously. Saying Thank You to anyone in the unconscious grip of ego, helps to unravel it.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

i would just say you dont want to talk about it

• Min
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Its none of their business if you are related to him or not. I would just say not. Why? Because it shouldn't matter if you are or not. Save yourself the interview of a million questions and just say NO.

• 4 weeks ago

Say he's a distant relative and you never had any interaction with him. If people judge you based on that, **** em. Who are they to judge you because your relative is a serial killer, that doesn't make you one.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • g
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You could just tell them you've heard of him but that all, then change the subject.

• 4 weeks ago

If you told me that you were, I would find it fascinating tbh. But I'm a fanatic about that kind of stuff. So are a lot of people. You'd be surprised.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.