If my neighbors lemon tree have branches that spread over my fence, can I legally pick the lemons for myself?

• patty

yes. I see so many fruit trees that have a tonne of fruit and they just rot away as nobody wants them

yes but don't get caught

You probably can, but it's a courtesy to ask first, just in case they were planning on using allll those lemons themselves.  And I'd not start trimming the tree, either.  I think folks get a bit touchy to look out and see a neighbor whacking away at their tree without  asking permission. Even if it is on your side.  

Source(s): Common sense

i mean, i personally would ask your neighbor if it's ok, but hey, sometimes we just take the lemons life gives us!

• sealamb8 months agoReport

and make margaritas!

I would say yes..........................

John 6:38 ¶ For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.

• Blahblahblah8 months agoReport

So is that a yes or no? Is this what you define as evangelism? Lpl

yes, whatever is on your property is yours. make them cut that side of the lemon tree or you keep whatever is on that side for yourself.

• Nuff Sed

"Whatever is on your property is yours"?  Really? So when a friend visits and parks his Porche in my driveway it becomes MINE?  Good to know.

Technically, here at least, the fruit belongs to the owner of the tree.  However, in practice it is generally held that if it's over your side you can take it. Few people would make a petulant song and dance about it.

We get on with our heighbors.  Some branches of our apple trees overhang their garden and legally they could cut those off (and offer them back to us).  Instead they take the fruit and make cider with it. He offered some to me once - it was horrible.

• Road warrior

Not in UK or US. Common law.

If they are on your side of the fence, you own the lemons. You could make your neighbour a nice glass of lemonade.

• sealamb8 months agoReport

or a margarita!

• Dze

yep .. you can trim off anything hanging over your property etc ..

• Blahblahblah8 months agoReport

Awesome!! Lemons are expensive