Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 4 weeks ago

Girlfriend is ambitious, will it affect our relationship?

I’m 26 and my girlfriend is 22. We’ve been together for 9 months now and have a lot in common. We talk everyday and we get on well.

She’s self employed, very ambitious, has goals. She’s started her own business recently and told me her plan is to not work as much when she’s 30. She currently owns one property and puts alot of her time on her business/work and admits she’s a boring person but work makes her happy. She’s starting to plan to buy another one next year.I’m more of a laid back type of guy, I currently do a 9-5 job and have a business going on the side with other bits too. I’m naturally more chilled and do other things as well as work.Today she’s told me that next year she wants to start saving more especially if I want this long term. She says this year we’ve been doing a bit too much e.g restaurants, activities, hotels etc (which I think is normal).She wants to cut down on her spending slightly so she can start saving to buy her second property.I confronted her today about it and she says she still wants to do couple stuff but just not as much as 2-3 times a week where we are spending and going fancy restaurants and hotels every month.She says she set herself goals before she met me, and I’ve kinda slowed it down this year by doing couple stuff. She makes time for me still but it’s like 70% work and 30% relationship.

She wants us to settle and be long term.

Will she will put more focus in the relationship after her business/career starts to be more on track?

• Clive

What does this have to do with personal finance?

Your complaining?  I've been looking for a girl like her for 31 years at least. Support her, even help out if you can.  That's a keeper right there son. 

This has nothing to do with Personal Finance.

• Judith

I can only speak for myself.  I was a lot like her (I'm retired now) and I would resent a partner who I didn't feel was pulling his weight financially; I think she would come to resent you too.

Laid back can also mean lazy so it wouldn't just be a difference in work ethnics.

So it's up to you really since it seems she doesn't mind - or she THINKS she wouldn't mind.  She is a type A personality and isn't going to change so, no, she isn't going to put more focus on the relationship.  If she becomes successful she will work even harder because that's the kind of person she is.  The two of you aren't a good match.

Let her manage her own money, it is hers. Also, let her have her business, in the long term that will be good for you, you will share the wealth, and maybe you too can stop working.

You should instead help her, do the business together, or something like that, if you want to spend more time with her.

she's going to wake up and dump your butt.

Your asking me gets some balls.

... well she is hard-working