Can anyone just write a good book if they merely have the ideas ?

or does their English need to be above average ? Mine is about slightly above average, I aint no Stephen King lol but i'm alright.

Its been one of those things I've always wanted to do actually. Write and publish a few hi-octane crime thrillers.

i'd have a main protagonist and a sidekick who is a double-agent but is she ? ^_^

so yeah, my idea is bad a55.

just need more advice from established fiction writers etc.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

“I ain’t not Stephen King” ahaha. I love your writing already! I’ll buy your book

• Amber
      Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

lol no answer obviously very keen

• 3 weeks ago

You don't need 'advice'. If you want to write, then write.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Just my opinion but it takes a mixture of talents to make it as a writer. One is the ability to come up with ideas that will sell, not necessarily good ones. It takes luck. Learning the craft, which includes the language you want to write it. The craft itself. Editing. Publishing. the Market. It also takes a lot of skill and having a natural story-telling talent is going to get you ahead of everyone who's having to take classes. I knew a man who's English was amazing and his grammar and punctuation was perfect just about, yet he had no story-telling ability. He spent money on classes but never improved.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If your characters sound like James Bond, Hercule Poirot or Huck Finn, that's because they are who they are.  But even Huck, a semi-literate youth from Missouri, made sure he was understood by his readers.  He mispelled few words and his grammar was akin to that of real world Missouri Southerners. Readers easily understood what came out of his mouth through Mark Twain's pen. Still all this about spelling and grammar does not answer you header question, does it?

A mere idea does not make a book.  Developing that idea into a plot that the characters act upon (and creating characters that the plot events act upon) makes a book, whether it's "good" or not.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Stephen King's English certainly isn't above average... but that's never held him back. 

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No - millions of people have 'good ideas'.  You'd need to be excellent at English and by the looks of your question, you fall way short.

It takes really great and original ideas, the discipline and organisational skills to structure those ideas into a novel, really good writing ability, the sense to check everything several times, the time and determination to proof your work, edit it and re-write it if necessary, and then somehow manage to persuade a good literary agent to sign you and help you get published.

• Marli
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

A good writer does not make the readers guess at what his writing means. You need to know and apply the forms of words in the structure necessary to get us to understand your message.  Huh?  Exactly.

• 4 weeks ago

Ideas are a dime a dozen. If you want to write then write. Whether it's any good remains to be seen but thankfully good writing can be taught. There's no guarantee you'll become a solid writer who sells a sh*t ton of books, but if you love writing all that is just a bonus. Writing solely for fame and/or fortune is a foolish endeavor.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You don' t have to worry about perfect English as all the authors have an editor who will suggest improvements and fix the spelling.

• Marli
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

You don't have to write like an Oxford don, but no publisher will buy a book that can't be read without extensive editing.  Their editors aren't assigned to you to correct your spelling and sentence structure. They are to coach you on  refining your plot and characters to make a better story.

• 4 weeks ago

The first step in writing a book are Ideas.  Write them down and then start developing the plot.  You might take some classes in writing.

• August
      Lv 5
      3 weeks agoReport

and writers need to know more than beyond your beloved Liverpool FC

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.