Gale asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

Baking Betty Crocker pumpkin bread, calls for shortening, is this Crisco or butter? I can not remember what I used in the past. Tx?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

shortening is Crisco..its called shortening and says so right on the label.

You could use butter though instead.

• denise
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Its Crisco............

• 4 weeks ago

vegetable shortening would be crisco

• abdul
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Shortening would be crisco, or another similar brand. It is not butter.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

shortening is the Crisco. 

For better flavor you can use butter or a combination of the two. 

Technically you could also use applesauce, same amount as you would use the shortening or butter.  You could also use pumpkin puree if you want more pumpkin flavor.  I happen to think the apple sauce would taste great. 

• 4 weeks ago

Shortening is crisco. It doesn’t really matter except for the smoking point and taste. Butter has a lower smoking point so if it bakes at too high of a temperature, it’ll burn and smoke. Butter also has better taste than shortening. 

• 4 weeks ago

Crisco is absolutely shortening.  You could substitute butter or margarine if you absolutely had to, or even vegetable oil.  I got caught once and vegetable oil was the only thing available - it came out ok.

• 4 weeks ago

From Texas I thought it was just lard.

• Autumn
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

''shortening refers to any fat that stays solid at room temperature, such as lard. Shortening got its name because of what it does to flour. Introducing fat into baked goods interferes with the formation of the gluten matrix in the dough.''

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.