Gale asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 months ago

Baking Betty Crocker pumpkin bread, calls for shortening, is this Crisco or butter? I can not remember what I used in the past. Tx?

shortening is Crisco..its called shortening and says so right on the label.

You could use butter though instead.

• denise

Its Crisco............

vegetable shortening would be crisco

• abdul

Shortening would be crisco, or another similar brand. It is not butter.

shortening is the Crisco. 

For better flavor you can use butter or a combination of the two. 

Technically you could also use applesauce, same amount as you would use the shortening or butter.  You could also use pumpkin puree if you want more pumpkin flavor.  I happen to think the apple sauce would taste great. 

Shortening is crisco. It doesn’t really matter except for the smoking point and taste. Butter has a lower smoking point so if it bakes at too high of a temperature, it’ll burn and smoke. Butter also has better taste than shortening. 

Crisco is absolutely shortening.  You could substitute butter or margarine if you absolutely had to, or even vegetable oil.  I got caught once and vegetable oil was the only thing available - it came out ok.

From Texas I thought it was just lard.