My Wi-Fi (Internet) Is good but on my pc it isnt?

When im on the internet everything loads slowly, even online games, but my wifi is good and runs good on my phone.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Best answer

Should make sure there's nothing downloading in the background on your computer

(Windows updates, videos or games downloading for example)

If there's any other computers on the network downloading the internet will slow down as well.

Could look at buying a better quality wifi adapter for your computer.

• GTB
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Probably the distance between pc wireless NIC and wireless access point is too great; the pc wireless NIC may be pointed in the wrong direction; the signal strength at the pc wireless NIC may be weak.

• 3 weeks ago

have you tried using a wired connection then?

• 3 weeks ago

There are too many factors that could contribute to this to list, but the main one is location.  Walls will weaken and break a signal, interference can weaken a signal, metal objects can downright block the signal.  These are problems especially on weak antennas.  My computer is literally ten feet away from the router but I had to move it to the perfect spot next to the bedroom door to get a decent connection due to walls. 

This is most likely not the router's fault as it is the antenna on the pc.  Put your router up high and get your pc as close as possible to the router.  If all else fails get a new wireless card or go the wired route.  Wireless will never give you the speeds that a wired connection will but you should be able to get a usable connection if you're on G and above.  Think of your wifi signal like waves, open air is your friend when it comes to wireless.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • David
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You may be getting interference from neighbouring wireless signals.

1)Change the broadcast channel on the router to channel to a less congested one than the current. You can download netstumbler or inssider (google them) and they will display the broadcast channels of any neighbouring wifi networks

2)Turn off any baby alarms cordless phones wireless doorbells as these use the same 2.4Ghz frequency

3)Update the firmware of the router and drivers for your PC/laptop

4)Consider moving the router if you are only getting 1 or 2 bars of signal

5)Consider powerline or mesh networking as an alternative

6)Sometimes cheap wifi adapters are fitted to PCs, consider getting a better one or dual band if your router is dual band

HTH

David

• 3 weeks ago

First I'm going to tell you the two possible causes of this first things first your USB plug-in the port you might have an old USB 1 on old USB 2 speedport when you should have a number three. If you're not plugging a USB network adapter into your PC then perhaps you have a bad Wi-Fi card. Again it's very simple to check this verify that you have a USB speed 3 port and then plug a good USB network adapter into it.

• BigE
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Jiralya has the right first step.  Compare wired and wireless using a known speed test tool like speedtest.net.  Also remember download speed (file transfer) is dependent on your disk speed optimization, which can vary is using a flash, SDD or HDD.

Has it ever been good?  Another reason is a WIndows Upgrade changing to the generic WIFI driver as opposed to the manufacturer one.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.