Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

why is it rude to ask someone salary?

But how come it's not rude to ask someone what degree they got, what job they do, etc even though these aren't anyone's business either?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

Because asking about someone's finances is none of your business, plain and simple. Asking them what field they are in or what school they attended, is not. But asking for my specific salary/numbers is. 

• denise
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Because its nobody's business but your own.

• drip
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It is not common to ask a person what level of degree they have in casual conversation.   What your job isn’t personal. Plenty of people know what job you have without telling them. Net working is common so talking about your job is common. 

But a person finances  are very personal.  How much you make, what your spend your money on, how much debt you have, is personal and considered rude to ask about. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

kind of cause its personal

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

It's considered rude mainly due to societal norms. It's considered taboo in a lot of workplaces to discuss your salary and some employers try to prohibit it. 

I think when it comes to ensuring workplace equality it would be appropriate to inquire about someone's salary, so you can compare your own income with someone of with a similar job title/level of experience. Other than that I don't think a person really has the right to ask. 

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Because asking about money may make the person being questioned uncomfortable.

The first rule of good manners is to put others at ease, and to make them feel valued and respected. Putting people on the spot with questions they may not want to answer does none of those.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Education and employment are usually indicative of a person's interests. Asking about these things is considered a way to get to know someone.

Asking how much money someone makes doesn't really tell you much about their personality.

• Henry
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

I don't know that anyone said it was.

• 4 weeks ago

For some people, discussions of religion, politics and salary are considered private and not open for discussion, and there is more flexibility around education and employment. For others, all of the above would not be discussed and equally as many people would openly talk about many aspects of their life.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.