Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 weeks ago

Is it normal to think about suicide?

Sometimes when I think about my future, I feel a desire to die. Like I’ve already planned out what how I’d die, what I’d write and what others would think etc. I started thinking this was normal for everyone but like 2 google searches made me think it’s not. Also, things I know that are going to come up in the answers section, I’ll answer here.

1) My age; 14. No I’m pretty sure “it’s not a phase” since I have been thinking these sorts of thoughts ever since I started school.

2) To go see a therapist; in short I can’t. My parents said I’m not allowed to. And I don’t think it’s legal to go to a medical professional without your parents consent where I live. Also, no I can’t go to my school counselors, last time I did that they told my parents everything and I got in massive trouble. So I’d rather not go through that again. 

So any other suggestions besides therapy if this is not normal. Thank you.

The point of your question I think is that you want to see a therapist but you're not allowed. We get complaints like this a lot. Some teenagers have said this advice helps.

First, I want tot say that 14 is a difficult age for a lot of people.

If you need professional care, arguing with your parents is not likely to get you what you need.

There are advantages to self-help if you're depressed. If you can't see a therapist, self-help is better than nothing. A lot of people benefit from it. Self-help is a way to show you're serious that doesn't create friction in the family. In fact, it wouldn't be surprising if your father liked some healthy changes in your behavior.

Self-help can be educational for parents as well as kids. A good self-help book explains what therapy for depression is like.

With depression, there's what seems like a Catch 22. People say, "I know there are things that will make me feel better - getting exercise, taking care of myself, straightening up the house and cleaning, but I'm depressed and I don't have the energy.

Here's the thing - very important. People do have energy when they're depressed - as much energy as they always do, but for some reason, the system is reluctant to let you use your energy.

We have to use psychology to coax energy out of our systems. Psychology has some nifty tricks.

A famous psychiatrist, Abraham Low, said that when we can't control our feelings we can still control our muscles. If you tell your arms and legs to get you our of bed or to the bathroom for a shower, they will obey.

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes.

This is a motivation trick that's been used in behavior modification programs since the 1930s. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Cleaning - start by cleaning for 3 or 4 min and take a 5 min break. Homework - start by proofreading a paper or previewing a chapter you're going to read by looking at headings, sub-headings, etc.

You don't have to be an athlete to benefit from exercise. As little as 20 min brisk walking a day can help, and you can add to that gradually so long as you don't make yourself sick of exercise with too much and quit. Steve Ilardi, the therapist/researcher who headed the lifestyle-depression project at the Univ of Kansas, talks about enjoyable ways to get exercise.

If you go to Metapsychology, you can read a psychologist's review of Dr Ilardi's book ("splendid").

Of all the traditional mind-body practices (meditation, etc.), the one with the best evidence for affecting mood disorders is yoga breathing. Slow breathing is used for treating anxiety, depression, panic disorder, and PTSD. It's safe and it doesn't take any training. You can find out about the work of psychiatrists Richard Brown and Patricia Gerbarg and PTSD therapist Emma Seppala in my recent answers.

I've answered a lot of depression questions, with advice from experts about standard treatments and self-help methods, which can enhance effects of standard methods. Just click on my name and read if you like. The answer below, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS, tells you about a variety of things.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

If you want to call a hotline, the one in the video is safe - no one will bother you if you call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yBXl81QPyY

Youtube thumbnail

&t=7s

• justin

Are ur parents abusive? they might be if they don't love u enough to find u help. send me a mesage my insta is camaro codybattery my email camaro33125cody@gmail.com or usa my text now number is 717 516 0310 and my facebook is camaro elfyboy with a pink sword art online anime picture. I am not a poster so don't worry if i have nothing up. it is too complicated for me. I am here to be supportive and if ur struggling with faith I have a strong connectionto god and ask him my questions personally and the answers i recieve are usually more comforting than the copy pasted ones i hear at church. I can help u understand if u need it. my method of support involves hugs and adorableness sometimes so if ur not cool with that tell me and il try to adjust to ur needs.

• Dejair

... if you feel joy in this .

Normal..... I don’t want to say it is but, honestly millions kill themselves each year. But I recommend talking to someone close about it.

You just have to remember 

1. You are cherished 

2. Loved.

3. And that Jesus made you for a reason and he died on that cross so that you could live in this world, a world with beauty and with pain. You simply have to suffer through it to get to the amazing things he’ll give you.

He’ll bring it for you you just have to wait and believe. There will always be someone would there that cares.

About you not being able to go talk to anyone about it, well, that’s one of those struggles I was talking about. You have to find someone who won’t turn around and say “this girl cuts herself” like my friend did. I promise you someone is out there waiting to be there for you.

Age 16 girl who gets “scratched by the cats” a “nerd” or “sl*t” feels you’re aching pain, you’re not alone. (Sorry if I made that sound too much about myself)

• Idk3 weeks agoReport

Don’t be sorry. Also I’ve never tried self harm before though. I never really saw the point. I have enough scars as it is. I know it’s supposed to be a bad coping mechanism so I’m sorry. 

• arther

perfectly normal though every person in the world has had that though at one time or another plenty of our thoughts are fantasy that never becomes reality. Somedays are better than others there is nothing wrong with you keep your head high and give life your best shot.

You're very young let's see what life has in store for you

• Kars

You could try talking to your school therapist about it