Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 3 weeks ago

Should I just stop letting people borrow my stuff?

Every time I let someone borrow my stuff, they either lose it, give my property to someone else when I never said so, return it broken, or just don’t return it at all and it just pisses me off because I trusted them with those things even though I didn’t want to give them those things in the first place. Should I just stop a together now? How do I do it without  the person getting mad, constantly begging me, and questioning me as to why I won’t let them borrow my things? Just saying “No” won’t work because then I’m seen as a no good sibling or friend so what should I say besides just a “No”?

Been there done that. I stopped letting friends and family borrow anything. Anything I’ve ever lent out has been returned broken, ripped, stained, or not returned at all. With no apology or even letting me know that they ruined my stuff.  If they ask, I don’t say no bc they don’t take no for an answer. Last person that asked to borrow my cat carrier, I told them I’d have to look for it bc it was packed down. They asked again and I told them I couldn’t find it. They went and bought their own. Win Win

Let people know when you expect it to be returned. If they don't then don't be afraid to say so.

• Alan H

Only do so if you are prepared to treat it as a gift 

Then, you will not be so upset

This is going on because YOU are letting it go on.

"Sorry, no; I don't lend my stuff any more because people lose it or break it. I'm sick of all that, so sorry, but no."And don't let them argue.

Yes stop letting them borrow your stuff. They are your stuff

Tell them to leave a deposit on the item.

Tell 'em "I don't lend stuff". If that's not enough f**k 'em. Not literally. They're not worth your time or friendship

Yes,I used to have this problem when I was a teenager I would loan clothes out and they were never returned so I got fed up with it and stopped lending things out, you need to do the same.

You can say no, and if they view you as a bad friend then you need new friends.

They are your belongings you don't owe them to others.

• glcang

Probably because you are a people pleaser.

Don’t be insulted. Many people are afraid to say no out of fear that someone won’t like it.

This issue is way bigger than you think. Allowing people to borrow stuff that you’d rather not  lend and then being pissed about how they treat it is only part of it.

You need to start saying “NO”

Yes, you should not people let borrow things you value unless really trustworthy. I have the same problem