Car accident. Appraiser totaled the 2006 Hyundai. But I paid for full coverage so I could have the car repaired not totaled. Now what?

A kid in their 20 s hit me. It smashed a portion of the front, but not so as to break the headlights.

It is still able to be driven. Their insurance company came to the scene and did the estimate.

Can I still take this to my insurance company for an appraisal of damages and get it fixed? Or is it done for when she hit me and her insurance company already wrote it as totaled?

Thanks for any assistance.

We live in Virginia, if that helps.

16 Answers

  • bobby
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

    The other party's insurance is responsible for the damage to your vehicle, it was totaled because the damage estimate exceeded the vehicle's value. Many states have laws requiring insurance companies to total a vehicle if the repair estimate exceeds a percentage of the vehicle's value. No, your insurance company will not cover the damages in this situation.

  • 2 weeks ago

    You could keep the car but it would be a salvage title. Good luck selling that car. Plus the insurance won't cover a salvaged car. I got hit in the rear corner of my car, bent the fender, and the insurance totaled it because the back fender goes up to the windshield and at the bottom it goes to the front of the driver's door. It's all one piece. It cost $3000 for that one piece and the car was only worth $6000 so they totaled it.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    You report it to your insurance company.  They will tell you what to do.  Where I am, I then have to go to a special shop where independent appraisers(not Owned by any insurance company...they look at the car and assess the possibility of getting it fixed and the cost to fix it and they come up with a figure.

    If it is just scrunched or crumpled(which is like wrinkled clothes) you do not write off the suit.  That is an easy fix.

    "Her insurance is not your insurance so if your insurance deems it is fixable(and it is) then THEY BATTLE IT OUT.  Why their insurance would even do that when it is cheaper to fix is weird. But the insurance person could be a NOOBIE.  That happens as they are continually hiring new people.

    I mean there was a time when Hyundai first came out in the 90's, that if it needed an oil change, that was too much of an expense.  Just buy another car.

    If your insurance want to "Write off your car" and they give you the $ value for your car as it is worth now,,,and you think that is too little money, then you have the option of a) not accepting their offer and keeping your car AS IS.   You will find somebody to fix it for you for cheap.(or not) It is totally up to you.  Right now, it has a custom dented front end so you can pick it out in a line up.  "So it is special"

    It sounds like you need to have a mechanic look at it and make sure it did not damage anything important(like the cooling system or the front steering or headlight alignment is off and has to be adjusted or signal light is broken.  If it is mechanically Okay, then it just looks ugly for awhile until you find some shade tree body man that can fix it up. next summer or something like that.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    There's a cut off point, a ratio of the  value of the car vs, the damage. They'll send you a check, but it will be a lot less that the cost of repair.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

    Regardless of your coverage if the repairs cost more than the worth of the vehicle it is a total loss and you will only get air market  value.  That is how insurance works.

  • 3 weeks ago

    If it is totalled you dont have the option to repair or not. Sometimes you can buy it back from the insurance and get it repaired yourself. If the airbags went off probably not worth fixing

  • 3 weeks ago

    Taking it to your insurance won't change anything. If the damage is more than a certain percentage of its value, then any insurance company would have to total it, and no insurance company could pay for it to be fixed.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    You do not get to make that decision.

  • May
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

    You have no say whether or not your car is totaled.  That is strictly up to the liable insurance company.  The only thing that you may be able to do is to buy the totaled car back from the insurance company for its scrap value and then do with it anything you like.

    You wrote:  "I paid for full coverage so I could have the car repaired not totaled. "

    NOT !   That is a false statement.  You did NOT pay for "full coverage" so you could have the car repaired.  You paid for that coverage to protect you and your assets.  Buying full coverage has nothing to do with being able to have your car repaired instead of totaled.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    the insurance adjuster came to the accident scene ?   

    you can always use your own insurance but you can't double dip.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.