Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Is this normal ?

I have a Labrador and he is 8 months he weighs 56 pounds.Does he weigh too little. he is so short. He is AKC registered so I know he is purebred and mom weighs 83 and dad 75. When does he mature fully weight wise.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Generally speaking, with other than the very small 'toy' breeds, with medium to large breeds the frame is there by around 7 months but it can take up to 2 years before a male especially will be fully bodied up - bitches a little sooner.    Could just be he's going to be shorter than the Breed Standard suggests he should be.   Talk to his breeder if you can do this without being too aggressive!

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You need to do a full family tree on this dog to answer this question.  You can hire a dog geneologist to do this work and it should only cost a few thousand dollars plus expenses.

• Verulam
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Really?  Why bother - if you don't find out what you hope the dog is by spending that amazing amount of money, will you love him less?

• Angel
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You would need to know the heights and weights of his parents, grandparents and great grandparents, average them out and approximate the height and weight being proper for his bloodline.

I currently have 4 labradors, two are siblings from same litter and the other 2 are not related in any way. Little boy is average height and slender athletic build, has a slight wave to his fur on his back and is 88 pounds. Little girl is of slight build, very square, short dense coat, very water repellant, athletic, 55 pounds and very small on the Labrador scale. The two siblings are 100 pound block heads, well muscled, adore. Swimming and are not agile in the sense of fine coordination such as obstacle courses, they blow down the equipment, almost like they can’t coordinate their feet, but they are just two years old. They are longer and taller than any labs we have had, but all 4 dogs are from vastly different blood lines. Little girl was bred for being a therapy or. Service dog, just a little small for guide dog. Little boy was bred for show but he wasn’t chosen as perfect because of his fur wave on his back. The boys are pure hunters, all nose and strong legs, we have to tell them several times to get in from the lake for the night. They hate not swimming and chasing.

Your dog could come from a line that was bred for being very athletic, (more so than average labs) or could be bred for a more calm laid back temperament, smaller than average standards. It all depends what the breeder intended or what the people that bred their dog to had in their dogs blood lines. The boys were 21 pounds at 13 weeks old vs little boy at 10 pounds. Vast difference within the same breed.

Just make sure your pups getting good growth food, fresh water, sees the vet, gets dewormed, is up on his shots and is well trained and you will have an excellent dog when he’s grown up.

Good luck

• Verulam
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

And I always looked at the grandparents, more so than the parents for what I might get, when deciding on my programme, going forward.

• 4 weeks ago

Labs will be considered full grown at 15-18 months. His weight is fine. A full grown male Labrador should weigh between 64 and 79 pounds.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

This is him does he look okay?

Attachment image
    • Verulam
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

..... but that doesn't stop him being a great companion!!   Just me being picky.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.