Gonzo
Gonzo asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 weeks ago

What do you think of the classic author Ovid?

Someone recommended him to me.

• Prince

To me, Ovid's, "Metamorphoses" encapsulates and preserves forever the ancient Roman pagan religion as it was known and experienced in the hearts and minds of religious pre-Christian Romans. It truly gives that insight, and it is indeed a different world view to ours. 

"The Art of Love" is the original PUA manual and much better than any of his 21st century imitators :)

• j153e

Humorous sleaze in his day; "Metamorphoses" is about shape-shifting; best-selling author in Rome, primarily because he was risque, and mocked Virgil.

Yes, his Metamorphoses  is a great read.

• Ludwig

Yes, I can still recite large chunks from the 'Metamorphoses' in Latin. I went to that sort of school.

occidet hic igitur, voluit quia vivere mecum, indignamque necem pretium patietur amoris? Etc.

I have read better works.

• Lv 4

nice answer; also, eg, 'Intret amicitiae nomine tectus amor.'

We read a lot of Ovid at school (in Latin) and at university, and I always enjoyed it. He wrote in a lively, vivid and colourful way about love, sex and human relationships.

• Marli

His works are all Latin to me. I suppose they are a treat to read in the original; but the few passages I read in an English anthology during high school were blah.

Perhaps I should give him another try, now that I've leaned a little more about Augustus Caesar.

• bluebellbkk

So many translations are 'blah'. Ovid isn't easy to read in the original, but he did repay the work we had to put in.

depends though I think its ok