Gonzo
Lv 5
Gonzo asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 weeks ago

What do you think of the classic author Ovid?

Someone recommended him to me.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Prince
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

To me, Ovid's, "Metamorphoses" encapsulates and preserves forever the ancient Roman pagan religion as it was known and experienced in the hearts and minds of religious pre-Christian Romans. It truly gives that insight, and it is indeed a different world view to ours. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

"The Art of Love" is the original PUA manual and much better than any of his 21st century imitators :)

• j153e
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Humorous sleaze in his day; "Metamorphoses" is about shape-shifting; best-selling author in Rome, primarily because he was risque, and mocked Virgil.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, his Metamorphoses  is a great read.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Ludwig
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Yes, I can still recite large chunks from the 'Metamorphoses' in Latin. I went to that sort of school.

occidet hic igitur, voluit quia vivere mecum, indignamque necem pretium patietur amoris? Etc.

I have read better works.

• Lv 4
      2 weeks agoReport

nice answer; also, eg, 'Intret amicitiae nomine tectus amor.'

• 4 weeks ago

We read a lot of Ovid at school (in Latin) and at university, and I always enjoyed it. He wrote in a lively, vivid and colourful way about love, sex and human relationships.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

His works are all Latin to me. I suppose they are a treat to read in the original; but the few passages I read in an English anthology during high school were blah.

Perhaps I should give him another try, now that I've leaned a little more about Augustus Caesar.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

So many translations are 'blah'. Ovid isn't easy to read in the original, but he did repay the work we had to put in.

• 4 weeks ago

depends though I think its ok

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.