If I make 16k a year will I qualify for financial aid?

I plan on quitting my job soon but they are asking for my taxes and I'm afraid I might not qualify and won't be able to quit my job to focus on school. I am applying as an independent and plan on attending a community college then transfer.

If you are under 24 years of age, unmarried, don't have children or dependents of your own, are not in the military, and no one other than your legal parent(s) has legal guardianship of you, you must include at least one parent's information on the FAFSA. If your parents are not currently married to each other, but the parent whose information you choose to report is currently married to someone else, you will need their spouse's information as well. If you think it will be challenging to get tax information for your parent(s), talk to your school's financial aid department and find out if they will do a dependency override for you (the answer may be no).

If you're planning to enroll starting in January 2020, you will need 2017 tax information for the 2019-2020 FAFSA; if you're planning to start school next August 2020, you'll need 2018 tax information for the 2020-2021 FAFSA.

It's worth filling out a FAFSA anyway, just to see what your options are; filling out the FAFSA is free, and it's not binding and doesn't obligate you to do anything. Any school you want to attend will most likely want to see your FAFSA before giving you an estimate of what financial aid you may be eligible for at that institution.

start at CC part time and then visit their financial aid office ... telling them you'd like to go full time but haven't saved much due to cost of living ... and see what happens

• martin

You probably would qualify for a "grant" of a small amount, maybe $3,000 or $4,000. You would apply on the FAFSA website.

80% of American college students work at least 20 hrs/wk. For community college students, the percentage is even higher than that. Plan on not quitting your job, although you might see about cutting back from a full 40 hrs/wk (although with that income, it doesn't appear you're working 40 hrs/wk to begin with). Considering $16k is barely above poverty level, if you are totally independent of your parents & have been self-supporting, you should qualify for some financial aid.

• John3 weeks agoReport

The only way to know for sure is to apply and see what happens.  There is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more that goes into account than the one detail you have mentioned.  Basically though, if you have a Social Security Number and a last name then you are eligible for some sort of aid for college.

• Gary

Sure will. You won’t really be able to have much with such low income

Yes. If you made 100k a year, then you likely won't get any need-based financial assistance

• you're at or below the poverty level. so, yes. i like your transfer plan, especially if college is tooexpensive for  you. this way you learn if college is for you without committing everything to it and ending up in massive debt.

• John3 weeks agoReport

You can't lie when applying for anything.  You may get into some pretty serious trouble as it is with the entity that offers the bog waiver.  That is not the Federal government, so it likely will not affect your federal aid, but you have in fact committed fraud.

i would just apply and see and then you'll know